Security System Advice?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BigBurd, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

I've found Macrumors' forums to be very helpful with many problems. Some very intelligent people are very willing to help.

Here is my most recent situation:

I am a small specialty retailer, and I have reason to believe that at least one of my employees is stealing from the cash register, and possibly pilferring goods. Consequently, I am considering the installation of a few security cameras, which (I hope) can be attached to my store's iMac, and make live pictures available via the internet, at any time

My questions to you kind people are: 1) What is a good, easy to use and inexpensive system to install? 2) Do I have to set up a special account with an ISP in order to broadcast the pictures? 3) What other advice can you give me?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you want to have a darn good chance of stopping it, hire a expert in business losses (don't remember the name) and have them set up the cameras in such a way that you can get a conviction in criminal court.

Going this route may be more expensive up front, but putting people in jail tends to stop people from doing it in the future.

Most companies that have a reputation of being lenient on this type of loss, tend to atract future store pilferage -- and higher losses over the long term than a $3k needed to put somebody in jail now.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

A few months ago, Macworld Magazine had an issue covering your topic. I recommend looking at their website for the details.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I agree, a flawed security implimentation can result in zero results. actuall the best retail security is the kind of always changes. Alot of the big stores move around their cameras and use small pin hole cameras in the back the employees do not know about it. You sound like a small business this maybe inpractical. Also, having and expert they will know, take for example you employee accepting an stolen credit. the expert will know the shot that the credit card company and the local law enforcement wants and needs.