Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huds

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
Missing In Asia
Grey is the new white

Just rebooted and noticed the screen is slightly darker with the whites a nice shade of grey. This is the first issue I have had with my trusted G4 for 4 years :( ! Running a G4 PowerMac mirror door with the 'old' 23" Cinema Display.

Anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it? Maybe this is an omen to upgrade in the New Year.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
I installed it on my intel mac mini, and it wouldn't boot back up. It installed fine, and rebooted. Then it hung on the grey boot screen for about 10 minutes. So I turned it off and restarted it, now it seems to be working fine. That's the first time I've ever had a problem with an update, which is kinda weird. :confused:

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
war said:
Problems with font book can actually cause problems with the rest of the system. Back when I was still using 10.2 I have some bad fonts in fontbook that kept causing problems with the entire system. As soon as I removed the fonts the problems stopped. It seemed weird to me too but it worked.
Yes, I've had that too. After I installed the font the system went really slow. I think it's just bad error handling ie. it just keeps on going when there is a bad font instead of stopping and gets more and more into a mess.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Huh it broke my SSL certificate I use to send email. Mail says the cert is corrupt. So I removed it and when I tried to add the cert back in to my keychain I got an error CSP_INVALID_ATTR_KEY_LENGTH. I think I'm stuck. Can updates be removed?

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
The update installed fine but removed my desktop picture for about 5 minutes, odd.
It didn't, unfortunately, fix my problem of the computer not going to sleep even though it's set to nod off after 15 minutes. This is since 10.4.8, not the end of the world but annoying nevertheless.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
All is as usual after update; i.e. itunes still crashes occasionally when iPod plugged in. oh well. At least I don't have viruses. :)

(yay: 1st post with an avatar) :)

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
I'd be mad too if it wasn't for my dad rebooting my computer over the weekend and losing my 51 day uptime, even though I told him not to restart or shutdown. Ugh...

When I moved house I logged on to my server before shutting it down and did a top to see uptime out of curiosity and it was 993 days - was quite sad to have to turn it off.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Huh it broke my SSL certificate I use to send email. Mail says the cert is corrupt. So I removed it and when I tried to add the cert back in to my keychain I got an error CSP_INVALID_ATTR_KEY_LENGTH. I think I'm stuck. Can updates be removed?

I think my prob is due to this one:

*Security Framework

CVE-ID: CVE-2006-4408

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.8, Mac OS X Server v10.4.8

Impact: Processing X.509 certificates may lead to a denial of service

Description: It is possible to create an X.509 certificate containing a public key that could consume a significant amount of system resources during signature verification. An attacker may cause a system to process such a certificate, leading to a denial of service. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4. Credit to Dr. Stephen N. Henson of Open Network Security for reporting this issue, and to NISCC for coordinating.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Why do people give a topic like this negative votes?

Some people don't have happy lives. They feel better when they have something to complain about.

On this topic, I would assume that they are upset by
1) having to reboot
2) Having to admit that OS X actually has security holes
3) Have dial-up and had to spend 2 hours downloading the update
4) wanted there to be holes... now they have to look for new ones to exploit
5) mad that a few of the other holes have not been fixed yet
6) nothing better in life to do

:)

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Does this fix the .dmg thing?
EDIT: According to AppleInsider, it does. Goodo :).

Steve Steiner

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
30" Dell display quit working after this update

I installed the update expecting no trouble, as usual.

Rebooted at end, 30" display turned into vertical line wallpaper.

Boot in safe boot mode, display locked at 1280x800, moving to higher res gives wallpaper.

No other system changes. Spent an hour on the phone with Apple, tried all the usual steps, no joy.

My 30" screen can't be set to higher resolutions, period.

I'm pretty surprised...

S

haleyvan

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
my isight doesnt work after this update. ive reset the pram and everything. great. another problem with the macbook. not even surprised anymore.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
errrr! I'm now THAT guy.

I really hate to be the first one on this thread to do this, but I am having a bit of a problem following the update. In no way am I saying it is definitely due to the update, but now one day after the update both safari and firefox are becoming non-responsive when I go to file so that I can print out a page or make it into a pdf. In both web clients the file menue becomes black like when you clock on it, but no drop down box appears and the webpages I have up completely freeze. Does anyone know whether this might be related to the updates and/or have a suggestion on how to resolve this?

khva1380

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2006
Well, I have something that did work and now is broken... We were running an imac (intel) as a basic web server (testing only) using the built in php and - importantly - Pear modules. The new security update installs php4.4.4 and globally switches off access to pear modules for PHP!

This is a disaster - anyone know how to overide the default apache/php settings in os x 10.4.8 so we can switch it in again.

It would seem to me that there must have been a security vulnerability somewhere and to fix it, they have removed the entire tool!

D'oh

(By the way - first post to Mac Forums - generally I find everything here extremely helpful and useful, so thanks all!)

Matt

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Just to confirm...what do you guys do in order to face so "many" problems in updating?

99% of my updates with Apple have been flawless experiences, and what I do is: repair permissions before, update via Software Update, repair after...while keeping the computer clean of any crazy haxies...

And yeah, as above said, rebooting or taking some longer time in rebooting is NOT a problem...:rolleyes:

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Does this fix the .dmg thing?
EDIT: According to AppleInsider, it does. Goodo :).
I'm confused. BBC and The Register here in UK are reporting that it's not fixed.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/29/apple_patches_osx_security/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6159071.stm

The BBC article strikes me as a bit sensational and contains a few factual, shall we say, holes...

Can people who know more than I do confirm that the dmg issue really is fixed by this update?

I think I trust AppleInsider more than the BBC on this one.

Turbojugend27

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
I don't know if it is just me and my 20" Imac, but after running this update, it has added about 1 min 30 seconds onto my boot time before I can actually do anything with my Apple.

Anybody else experiencing this?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm confused. BBC and The Register here in UK are reporting that it's not fixed.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/29/apple_patches_osx_security/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6159071.stm

The BBC article strikes me as a bit sensational and contains a few factual, shall we say, holes...

Can people who know more than I do confirm that the dmg issue really is fixed by this update?

I think I trust AppleInsider more than the BBC on this one.

According to the Secunia website and Apple's own notes, the .dmg problem is half-fixed. One of the two issues has been resolved. However, there are a lot of other, unpatched issues.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
What the ??? Digital Sig for file is incorrect

Hey Guys, I'm here trying to update my trusty G4, but I'm getting the error message below. Has anybody seen this before? This is a little odd considering I've just done the same update to my TiBook and everything went well with that. What do I do?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 150
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.