Security update messed up my network?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Natalia81, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Natalia81 macrumors regular

I installed the new security update today and now I cannot get my windows computer on my network to see my mac. Before update, I had no problems networking the two. I was even sharing an external drive (from mac). Now i can't get anything. I can ping the mac from the PC by IP address only.

Anyone else having problems with this? Anyone with a solution?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's weird, I'm connecting just as easily as before.

3. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

i can get to my windows machine from my mac, but not the other way around.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep, just checked that too and it's still fine. I can't think what the problem could be... Do you use the in built firewall in OSX?

5. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

It's probably something wrong with my win2k machine. I'll have to take a look at the network settings. My Mac is working fine.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Does this mean you are trying to connect by hostname instead of IP? I know that OS X is flaky - at best - when you try to connect to a windows PC by its name rather than IP. Try connecting to the share by IP address.

7. soonbaek macrumors newbie

Check SAMBA settings

on my computer the SAMBA was disabled after installing the security updates. Check the share settings (I think it's called windows share? I'm at work currently and don't have access to a mac).

8. Natalia81 thread starter macrumors regular

HEY! That worked. I totally forgot about the "file sharing" under system preferences (I'm still a n00b)! Thanks a lot. I've been messing with my my windows machine the last couple of hours, thinking it was to blame. I did realize that I cannot ping myself on my windows machine though (pinging myself from win2k), but can ping everything else...oh well...I don't care, I can access my shares now.

Thanks again :)