Security Update .pkg receipts - can i delete them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raincoat, Jul 5, 2005.

1. raincoat macrumors member

raincoat

I was browsing my receipts folder today and was deleting some no longer needed pkg files and i came across all of the previous security updates. Can i delete all of the security update .pkg files like i have done with the old update files with no ill effects. will i ever need these pkg files again in the future or are they downloadable from the apple website if i do need them?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The rule of thumb regarding package receipts is this: Do not delete a receipt unless you have also deleted the software package it corresponds to.

Receipts are used for repairing permissions - the permissions repair utility looks at the receipts to determine what the correct permissions should be.

3. raincoat thread starter macrumors member

raincoat

so i guess the answer is no then for the security updates, except for those associated with panther. Can anyone tell me the name of the last security update for panther?

cheers for your help

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would leave all the packages in /Library/Receipts, unless it's associated with an application that you no longer have installed. After all, they should not be taking up much space.