Security Update wrecked my PowerBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crenz, Apr 5, 2004.

1. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I installed the latest security update yesterday, and now my PowerBook won't boot anymore :(. When starting up, it displays the apple logo, but there is no spinning cursor anymore. Starting from the Panther Update/Installation CD works fine, and I used it to repair permissions and the volume, but it didn't help.

What should I do?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

spinning cursor shows after hardware check is completed. try zapping pram and it most likely helps. (hold command-option-p-r at boot time.) if i remember correctly, apple techs' advice is to keep zapping as long as you hear the startup sound four times.

3. cjc343 macrumors 6502

I hadn't heard 4 before....... they usually have me do once...

If the above doesn't work.... go into OF... (hold down Command-Option-O-F during startup....)

now type "reset-nvram" without the quotes

Then type "reset-all" without the quotes

MUST BE IN LOWER CASE

Your computer will reboot. If it boots up properly, set your clock.... it will need seting....

4. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Kiitos, JFreak, and thanks, cjc343, but both suggestions didn't work. Still same situation. I left it on for about twenty minutes, but still no spinning cursor.

PS. Booting into single-user mode (Cmd+S) doesn't work as well.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

strange. get your laptop to apple authorized service and let them figure what's the problem. it might be memory, because it seems the hardware test fails.

6. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Hmm... that's not very satisfying, although I have AppleCare. I really need my PowerBook, it is my only computer... *sigh*

7. cjc343 macrumors 6502

well.... I would go to Apple first (personally) but otherwise, my next step would be Archive and Install... If THAT doesn't work... bring it to apple, there is nothing that can fix it for free.... (unless you have AppleCare)

8. Bear macrumors G3

Boot off your OS installation CD and see if you can repair permissions.

This update doesn't seem to wreck permissions, but if you had bad permissions before, the update may have a problem with that.

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I think you are really doing something wrong and have some major system issues if after a simple security update you can't boot. my mac is older, has a sonnet upgrade (upgrades are prone to problems) and a few system hacks. I never had any issues at all after this update or any sw update from apple.

I would say people this happens to really need to rethink the way they setup and use their mac. i'm simply just trying to say that you should do some research into how a mac should be setup.

10. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

read the first post, he already did that and no luck. that said; when i update my system i always run repairpermissions before i reboot the system, and recommend that to others too. and since i have grown too lazy to use terminal for that, i purchased cocktail to do all maintenance with single click ;)

11. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Well, this is getting interesting :( .

I tried to do an archive & install yesterday, but Panther won't let me -- "A newer version of Mac OS X is installed on this volume". It might be because bought the upgrade version. So that means I will probably have to install Jaguar first, and then Panther :(.

I just hope Jaguar will let me do an Archive & Install...

12. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Jaguar will work. make sure to archive and install both times...

13. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Yupp, it let me install Jaguar, but the machine still doesn't boot :confused: :mad:

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can your PB boot into OS 9? Boot from the Panther CD and open the Startup Disk panel, then try booting into 9.

15. mediababy macrumors member

10.3.3 update was a wreck on my Tibook

This is a little off the security update but that last OS update (10.3.3) made all of my external firewire disks unable to stay mounted. I have loads of files probably almost a terabyte of info that obviously wouldnt all fit on the powerbook. I was unable to find anything about it, except that it had happened to a few others, but no mention of a known fix. I had to reinstall
    from my original Panther discs & it wasnt too bad but a pain reinstalling Apache , PHP, Perl & MySql the way I like them. I never used to think about installing Apple Updates but i am waiting until it is absolutely the last resort . It is just way too much time down the toilet. (& anxiety about never using your files ever again possibly). That was my only bad experience on OS X though.