Security with High-Speed Internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by maluscanis, Feb 3, 2003.

1. maluscanis macrumors member

I just recently signed up for Earthlink High-Speed Internet (cable modem) and my question relates to security. With cable, my computer will always be connected to the internet - Do I need to do something special to make sure my information is secure (keychain, etc...). I'm quick to learn on the computer, so if you can give me some basic security tips and directions I should be fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Simon

2. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Naw, you dont really have to worry unless you are running a server. A firewall is all you really need, and if you want, a anti-virus program would be good as well.

I like to do a little more than just have a Firewall, so i purchased
    Macanalysis(www.macanalysis.com) but most here will tell you that is probley too muhc for the average user, but its easy to config and it has worked great for me so far.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have dsl, I don't have a firewall. I do a lot of gaming, and they cause more trouble than they solve. However, if you still feel the need, don't waste your money on more software. Just use the internal os x one (System Prefs: Sharing). If you do not have Mac os X.2 (I think 10.2 gives you a gui way of making a firewall. 10.0, or 10.1 required knowledge of unix) please report to Stevie, you need to be shot. ;)

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'm gonna say that although there's very little chance of needing it, a firewall is never a bad idea, especially since there's one built in. Again tho, it may cause problems with some things (Yahoo Messenger needs a little configuration to work with it, etc etc)... If you need help setting it up just ask :)

pnw

5. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Re: Security with High-Speed Internet?

Just get yourself a small broadband router. It has a built in firewall and NAT for extra security, which makes your mac connected to a local network with the router and the router with the internet.

Also very handy if you even get another computer that you want to connect to the internet.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/channel.htm?ch=computer&sub=sub-security

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

:cool:

6. JupiterZen macrumors regular

I say you need one. Always. If a machine is directly connected to the internet.

Just do a portscan of your machine and see which services are open and you will know you want to close them.

My router is portscanned every hour of every freakin' day. And tried on every known exploit. I'm not waiting to find out when the first ones for my OS come along and cause me great sorrow.

Better be save.

7. maluscanis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help... Setting up a firewall sounds like the best option. Is there a good internet site that will help me out. I'm running the latest version of Jaguar.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It is surprisingly easy.

Just open system prefs, and go to sharing, there is a firewall tab.

Machelp offers this concise relpy to your question: "Mac OS X includes firewall software you can use to block unwanted network communication.

You can't edit the ports used by built-in services. They are enabled and disabled automatically when you turn the corresponding service on or off in the Services tab."

9. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

get one

You cant emagin how much stuff goes on, on your network. If nothing else.... just to stop your copmuter from talking to the out side world with out asking.

If you get one, get a good one, and learn how to use it. Most people get one because they heard you need one. they turn it on and set it to "High Security" and forget about it. Get one that you can make rules and learn about TCP/IP protocalls.