Security?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JLS, Sep 4, 2004.

1. JLS macrumors 6502

http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

Ive been reading this about my current OS, and do find it worrying. This is the tip of the iceberg really, as other terms and conditions of software such as msn allows them to actually have the right to use the data collected for any purpose they like:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/03/30/all_your_data_and_biz/

Ok.. so your all mac people.. you probably knew this anyway. This is the first proper proof I have had to see it for myself. And while im considering moving to mac in the near future I began to think..

Is it not possible that there is some logging or whatever in OSX as well.. we all know how MS has shares and development input in Apple OS - and on issues like forensic data that has advantages to the police or government...

Is there any real way of knowing that Apple aren't doing the same thing?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

First of all, Microsoft has NO INPUT with Mac OS X. PC people all think that Microsoft owns part of Apple! Well, that used to be true, but no longer is and hasn't been for quite some time. Apple bought back all the shares that Microsoft used to own. Apple is 100% independent and 100% debt free with over 4.5 Billion dollars in cash reserves and growing every quarter.

Apple helps the Mac business unit part of Microsoft to develop Mac OS X applications, but Microsoft has no input what so ever as to whats in and not in OS X. If anything, Microsoft steals little features from OS X here and there to put into Winblows XP.

Mac OS X is one of the most secure OS's there is, part of the reason why the Federal Government is starting switch to the Mac platform. There are special versions of Mac OS X made for the the federal government.

3. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to get into a discussion about who is better, or any crap like that - all im interested in is to find out if there has ever been any evidence of logging in OSX (which is so prevalent in XP). Even if its not apples choice, maybe logging is a mandatory request of the government.. who knows.

All I know is that people discovered logging in windows - and I wonder if there is ANY evidence of similar action on OSX..

Thanks

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I really, really doubt that Apple has done something like this....Apple couldn't give two ****s where someone goes on the internet. All they care about is if the OS works properly, and what new features are in the next OS X.

Apple is so much more different than Microsoft. They have a passion for creating/introducing amazing new products, both hardware and software. They care about the end user. Microsoft doesn't seem to care about the end user. All they care about is being on top! Thats why I think people are making the switch.

Go with the Mac! You won't be disappointed!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i doubt apple installs or has any type of keyloggers built into the OS but i have heard that there are logger programs for OS X but i am not familiar with any of them or anything such as that, anyways you can always use the activity monitor and other apps to see if something is being used that you dont know about

6. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is that XP logging is totally hidden, and can only be found using DOS... so you can't just 'see' a logging program running.

My old PC that I gave to my dad was totally empty when I gave it too him - I had deleted all my emails and cleared my history. A few months later a massive error occured and suddenly all my old emails.. that I HAD deleted re-appeared in the inbox.. I have not read about anyone else ever experienceing this, and it must have been one freak error.. but its got me really pissed off with windows. Its one thing logging everything I do.. but quite another if you suddenly reveal 3 years of my private emails to my dad!