See Handoff on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 in Action

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, Apple is focusing heavily on increased integration between desktop and mobile through several new "Continuity" features, including Handoff, which allows users to start a task on one device and swap to another nearby device.

While Handoff doesn't appear to work reliably at this point in time and is listed as one of the features currently unavailable in the beta software, some users have been able to get it working, giving us a quick glimpse at how the feature works.

A video from French site Mac4Ever displays how the feature works with Maps, Safari, and Mail. A map opened on the iPhone is automatically picked up by the Mac, displayed in the lower left corner of the screen, with the process repeated for a site in Safari and an email message in Mail.

Handoff, Mac/iPad phone calls, and the other Continuity features will continue to be refined during the iOS 8/OS X Yosemite beta testing period. Both iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite are currently available to developers and are expected to be released to the public in the fall.

Article Link: See Handoff on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 in Action

2. macrumors newbie

Hand off? How about HANDS OFF my iPhone for all guys who can't seem to hide their indiscretions lol. (hands up)

3. macrumors member

can't wait for public release :cool:

4. macrumors 6502

bb426

I was kinda disappointed to not be able to test this yet. I haven't been able to get this to work on any of my devices yet.

5. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I've said it before, but it was around the time that Craig flung an email from an iPad to a Mac when I realized we're on the precipice of something which is going to be indispensable to future generations.

6. macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Awesome stuff...true magic!

7. macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I just can't wait till these features are released :D

8. macrumors 68000

JarScott

Really looking forward to these features. I can see Handoff being infinitely useful. Bring on the public beta!

9. macrumors regular

I don't understand why Apple chooses a solution with that much traffic overhead. Or are these notifications sent over Bluetooth / wifi?

Because otherwise they will have a lot of extra traffic, as they have with cloud tabs in safari.

10. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Over Bluetooth apparently

11. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

i can't get it to work between ipad and iphone aside from sms

12. tbayrgs, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

macrumors 68040

tbayrgs

I enabled it on my Mac but had no luck with my iPad rMini until I rebooted the computer. After the Mac restart, it immediately came up--was able to duplicate the 3 examples in the first video (Maps, Safari, Email).

13. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

Hmm maybe load a Yosemite VMware I don't want to update to it I use my computer for work.

14. macrumors 6502a

Its called Google/chrome to phone. Nice :0

15. jpu
    macrumors member

jpu

If you look at 0:43 in the first video, the Bluetooth icon is in the status bar of the iPhone but not lit up - it's not connected to the Mac via Bluetooth.

16. macrumors 68000

Is Bluetooth enabled on all devices, and you have them registered with iCloud?

17. macrumors 65816

Cool! I guess? Can't really think of any use for this, but it looks and feels like something that would be useful.

18. 8CoreWhore, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

So far, I haven't been able to get this working. I can't get my Mac and iPhone to connect via BT.

19. macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple knows that you might use Bluetooth for multiple things and saves lighting it up for when the device is paired to a car or headphones say.

20. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I can see myself using this. Quite often I am in the middle of something and have to leave. Being able to go between my iMac and iPhone will certainly be helpful.

21. macrumors member

Handoff

Interesting, how I asked Apple for these very features 4 years ago . . . .

Hmmmmmm.

22. macrumors 65816

Yes, for sure this sounds like something nice, but I just can't put my finger on it.

I mean, I've been going between my phone and computer for the best part of a decade already for most everything, including games, email and documents. Browsing has been synced via iCloud as well. I mean, yea, it's nice, but I've been doing it for years already, and completely cross-platform to boot.

What benefits am I supposed to reap from this proprietary solution?

23. macrumors regular

Nothing new? ;^)

Umm, wasn't this (and more) already done in "Minority Report", and then in "NCIS" and "Hawaii 5-0" on TV? ;^)

Just a little Friday the 13th humor - a year from now, when this is all stable, we'll figure out lots of ways to use it.

24. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I will get a bigger benefit from it than you. Not a fan of iCloud for the big picture. I use iCloud in a very limited way. Yeah I guess I should move with the times, but iCloud has never made me comfortable enough to use it all out. Not sure why, it's just me.

25. macrumors 6502a

shanson27

Why not over wifi ???