See what you make of it.

Discussion in 'Community' started by TenderBranson, Aug 30, 2004.

1. TenderBranson macrumors member

I just finished reading "Our town" by Thorton Wilder for school. At the conclusion of the play, he leaves the reader with a little bit of wisdom.

It's from the point of view of the dead. I'm interested to see what you make of it; one sentence in particular...

"Yes, now you know. Now you know. That's what it was to be alive. To move about in a cloud of ignorance; to go up and down trampling on the feelings of those...of those about you. To spend and waste time as if you had a million years. To always be at mercy of one self-centered passion, or another. Now you know-that's the happy existence you wanted to go back to. Ignorance and Blindness.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hey, love your member name by the way im a huge Chuck fan

anyways the best i can make of this without knowing anything about the play is that the writer is talking about a couple of things

1. that many of us are not living life right. Basically we are not focusing on the 'important' things in life, that we are too self involved rather than appreciating life for what it really is, a gift ect

2. that once your dead you realize what in your life you have wasted and that maybe your could have spent your time a little better

3. this is a stretch but since it is from the point of view of a dead person what the last part implies is that what you believe in, what you think you know, you dont really have a clue at all. we are ignorant to the meaning of life and what happens when we die, but we try and make things up, and that when we are dead we find out the whole meaning and what happens, and that maybe this truth isnt all that great, that maybe it would be better to be in ignorance about the realities of life and death because in all reality things are horrible

again i have never read the play or seen it so i am only speculating on what i just read