Seeking Advice re: my beloved 550 TiBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by seahawksfan, Oct 18, 2005.

1. seahawksfan macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2005
    I just bought a 1.33 12" iBook to replace my beloved 550 Mhz, 1GB RAM TiBook that has been a road warrior for the past three years. The paint is chipping/chipped away around the palms, and the screen latch no longer closes, but otherwise it has been a great machine for me.

Basically, the TiBook's display kept "falling asleep" spontaneously and was generally becoming unusable. I never did determine exactly what the issue was, but I opted to purchase a new laptop regardless. I would like to recoup something for the TiBook, but I'm not sure the best course of action. Within the past six months I replaced

1) the battery
    2) the HD with a 60GB Hitachi 5400rpm
    3) the Airport card with a new original Airport card

So I feel like these pieces themselves would fetch almost as much as the computer altogether! Basically I'm not sure what to do at this point - sell it as is? Spend MORE money trying to figure out what's up with the display? Sell the above three parts separately?

Any advice greatly appreciated....

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    My TiBook kept doing the same display thing for a while. I finally figured out that it only did it when it was unplugged, and so I determined it was the battery. I replaced it with a NuPower one, and now the PB is alive and kicking! Did you replace the battery with a new one, or a refurbished battery? I recommend downloading something like iBatt (from to check and see how much charge your battery can hold. My old one claimed it was charged (all the lights would glow green), and iBatt told me it just wasn't there.

Other than that, you can probably still get a few hundred for the Powerbook, even with the screen malfunction. If it's not the battery, I'd bet it's either the inverter board, or maybe the logic board. As parts you won't get so much for it, but you might have some luck eBaying it as a full system.

But try to keep it alive! I'm so glad I managed to save mine. They're great little machines, aren't they?