Seeking C Programming Fundamentals

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by stangmmx, Aug 2, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hello Forum,

Beginner here. I'm going through the Stanford course currently. However, I do not have a background in C programming at all. As I wade further into this course, or other iPhone OS programming courses, do any of you have recommendations as to where I can learn some basic c programming.

I checked the FAQ. Apple does offer a wealth of information, however it's not particularly accessible to complete novices such as myself. Though, I see how it will be incredibly helpful once I understand the basics.

Thanks for any and all help. :)

2. macrumors 603

Amazon seems to carry books on C for dummies and beginners. I would try your local library as well (even the kids or teen non-fiction area), since that would be free.

3. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

4. thread starter macrumors member

5. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Don't let the length of that book fool you, it has more useful information in it than my 1K Page C# Book. I borrowed the first edition from the University Library.

6. macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I skipped straight over c and went straight for objective-c with "Programming for Objective-C 2.0" I am about 150 pages in and it is a very well written book! Makes it fun to learn! :) and written fotr people with no previous knowledge of any languages!

7. thread starter macrumors member

Really? hm. Maybe that is more in line for programming iPhone/iPad applications.

8. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Um, guess which forum this thread is in? :confused:

9. thread starter macrumors member

I meant more in line with iPhone/iPad programming strictly rather than just programming in C in general.

10. macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Yes it is very well wrotten at the start the other states that he had to decide how to teach Obj-C and he decided that he would do it assuming no C experience rather than teaching you c then adapting it to Obj-C.

Of the 30 odd chapters only the final one mentions the iPhone SDK. it is mainly about learning Obj-C! So once you have completed this book you should them move onto another such as The iPhone Dev Cookbook etc.

I have decided on this approach as I hope I will have a very good understanding of the fundermentals before I start writing apps and it will make it easier and I will be able to write more complex apps ultimately! Well that is the plan anyway!

11. macrumors 603

Cromulent

I had to chuckle :).

12. macrumors 6502

13. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon