Seeking input about upcoming mobile phone purchase.

Discussion in 'Community' started by feakbeak, Aug 24, 2005.

1. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I've been wanting to upgrade my cell phone for over six months now. I have really been putting a lot of thought into it and searching around but still haven't found an ideal phone/carrier/plan combo. Here is a brief list of what I am looking for.

Phone:
    - Works with iSync (USB or Bluetooth but prefer BT)
    - Want to sync contacts and calendar items. ToDos would be nice also.
    - Flip phone
    - Color display & External display
    - Don't care about camera much
    - I am not looking for a Palm, Windows Mobile device - too expensive and I don't need it.

Carrier/Plan:
    - I am on Sprint and would prefer to stay with them, but their phone selection is just awful, IMO. I have been with Sprint for about five years now and have not had problems with coverage or customer service. I have heard horror stories from others with Sprint on the net, but I'm basing my opinion on personal experience and I have always had good experiences with their customer service.
    - I am open to changing carriers.
    - I live in Detoit metro area so coverage near my home/work is probably not an issue with any of the major carriers.
    - My cell phone is my only phone, I have no land line. Therefore, I would like the carrier to have a national plan, national coverage area, strong singnal near my home (Plymouth, MI).

I am open to any and all suggestions that meet above criteria or at even most of it. Currently, I am leaning towards switching carriers to Cingular and picking up a RAZR v3 off Amazon.com. If anyone is familiar with the RAZR v3 or Cingular in the metro Detroit area please tell me about your experiences.

Also, I am considering iSync compatibility to be an important feature for me. From those of you who use it, how is it? Do you believe it is a really valuable feature? I think it would be very nice not to have to enter contact info and phone numbers directly into the phone. I also like keeping calendar and todo items on my phone, but again wish to be able to input them on my Mac mostly and be able to view and add them (occaisionally) on the phone. I already keep all this info on my Mac and figure iSync is the way to go for this functionality.

Thanks for your time.

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I'm based in the UK, so can't really help on the carrier front, but for the phones I have a couple of suggestions...

I currently have a Nokia 3230 Series 60 phone - and I love it. Fully compatible with iSync, I can use Salling Clicker to control my Mac and apps, and the upgradable memory is very useful. The 1.3 megapixel camera give great quality shots too.
    The only problem - it ain't a flip. I think Nokia only do 2 flips worthy of attention (mainly because they are Smartphones too) but only the newest is worth a look - the N90.
    Flip? Check. Colour outer display? Check. iSync compatible? It will be! Add in Bluetooth 2.0 (allegedly) and a mighty Carl Zeiss 2MP camera and flash, its an awesome phone. Just a wee bit on the big size.

N90

I'm getting the n70 myself on release. Not as good looking as my 3230, but the extra spec makes it desirable enough!

Panasonic have a symbian flip phone too, but its supposed to be terrible.

If you branched out to slider phones your selection would increase.. Nokia are releasing 3 and then you have the two Walkman sliders coming from Sony Ericsson that look handy. I'm actually tempted by the W600 dependant on its size.

I've used a RAZR for about a week, and I was floored by the design, but I really hate Motorola's OS. Its bad bad bad. And they never make good use of their pretty large displays - they're never as sharp or refined as SE or Nokia screen.
    That said I'll get one as a secondary going out phone at some point due to its slimness.... or maybe just wait for the SLVR.

iSync is actually very useful. I've been using it with iCal and my 3230 for a while now, and last week I sorted out Address Book to finally replace all of my on-phone contacts. Easy to do, and it even moves mini-pics of each person across. Its nice to know now that every time I get a new phone (at least 3 times a year) I can just sync and that all.... unless I need to wait for an iSync update of course!

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If I were to buy a phone today it would have to be Sony Ericsson K750i. No other phone comes close, style or feature wise... and the SEs have always played very nice with iSync (except for P800/900 when those first came out, but that's another story).

Only thing is that I don't know if that has been released in the US, yet... If not you could check out the K700i, but that is not nowhere near as cool as the 750... :(

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I 100% agree apart from 1 thing. The OP stated they needed a flip phone. The K750i is not a flip phone...

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

K750i or W800i (the latter is released in the US tomorrow). Best looking, functioning, capable phones around.

Look at the Nokia N series if you're a Nokia fan though.

Do not get a Razr. They are being updated very, very soon, hence why the current ones are being dished out like sweets on Halloween.

Edit:

'looking for' not 'needs to be' but with this in mind, still look at the SE's and also try the V800i (UK name on Vodafone) or the Sharp 902 (bit big but very impressive phone).

6. feakbeak thread starter macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Thanks for the feedback thus far. As I said I am open to almost any suggestions my lists of preferences is only for reference. I have not been able to find exactly what I want and I've been holding out but I am frustrated after waiting over six months. So now, I am opening up to just about any new option as long as it looks promising.

I currently have the Samsung VGA 1000 and I like it, but I want more features in my phone - mostly the ability to sync with my Mac. I haven't used a Moto phone extensively so I don't know much about their interface/OS.

I have heard many praise the Nokia and SE phones. I know most of their designs are bar phones, which I've never been a particular fan of. The slide phones I am open to though. I dunno, I have always been partial to flip phones. For years I have always just kept my phone in my front pant pocket, with no case. I've never had a problem with this as a flip phone closes to protect the main screen. I'd worry with a slide phone that I might scuff up the screen, even though I never keep keys or change in with the phone, just the phone by itself.

I quickly looked at the N90 though and it looks cool. I'll have to research some of your suggestions and compare. The SLVR also sounds interesting, I hadn't head of it. Thanks for all your input again. If anyone else would like to throw in their two cents feel free to do so - about phones, carriers or iSync.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Lots of phones can sync with the Mac. Basically just look at phones, find a few you like, read reviews of them, and see which ones are on the iSync compatibility list. There are tons of phones that meet your requirements and you can get a lot of them for very little $$ with a contract. Spending $200 on a Razr is unnecessary unless you feel like you need to be a tech whore to validate yourself.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Don't get a Treo 600.

I hate this thing - trading it in for a Blackberry soon.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I didn't see that, but even if I had I would still have recommended the K750i, as it's way better than any flip phone out there. I haven't tried the new 3G phone, z800i, so that might be better suited since it's a flip phone, I just don't know, but give the K750i a try. ;)

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Might be reading your post wrong, Mith, but the W800i isn't 3G. It's essentially a D750i, which is essentially a K750i with a slightly different slider for the camera and very, very slight difference in button look.

Deffo agree that it's waaaaay better than any flip phone around. Good flips are just too bulky (again the V800i or Sharp 902 fit this description well).

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Phone screens are much tougher than iPod screens and seem less prone to scratches. My k700 didn't have any scratches on its screen after a year and it was in and out of pockets, handbags etc. My new k750 is a few weeks old too and is still fine despite its journeys back and forth tucked into the front pocket of my jeans.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My mistake... :eek:

I was thinking about the z800i, SE's 3G flip phone:

[​IMG]

I'll edit my other post, too...

13. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ah yes, the V/Z 800i is 3G. Good phone. Essentially a flip version of the S700i/S710a. Big though ^^^^^

Edit: Here is the 902

Attached Files:

14. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

iGary--I looked at the Treo the other day and its a piece of crap. I am going with the Blackberry too!! My 2 year contract with Verizon is up and I have credit towards a new purchase. The only thing that is making me wait a few days to decide is that Verizon only carries and services 1 model of the Blackberry--The 7250 I believe--its color is black and it seems allright. I just wish I could have more options like the new ones on the website for RIM. But I am staying with Verizon so it will have to do I guess--they have been a great phone carrier for me over the last 2 years. I had Suncom before Verizon for 4 years and they sucked bad and lied to me about so much! Anyway the only other company I would go with is Cingular!

15. feakbeak thread starter macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Thanks again for all your input, everyone. I ended up going with the RAZR on Cingular. I tried to check out the phones recommended but I think it is just that the US sucks with the latest cell phones. I didn't see any US carriers supporting the SE w800i or z800i but Cingular did have the S710a - however the prices I found for this phone were more than I wanted to pay (~$350 USD). I also couldn't find much in the way Nokia phones for Cingular either.

I was able to pick up the RAZR for $100 USD and port my number from Sprint. I've already got it sync'ing with my Mac, no problem. Apple always makes things easy. I saw on some forums that on the PC you have to use this Mobile Phone Tools software that you have to purchase separately - what a pain. I've figured out how to get any pictures I take off of my phone via BT - with Sprint I had a camera phone but could only get pictures to my computer via some phone add-on package they offered - I never used it. The only thing left that I want to do is figure out how to transfer pictures/file to my RAZR from my Mac and maybe try to configure my phone to access my Gmail account - I'm not sure if I'd have to pay for a data plan to do the latter though. I'll check it out. So far I'm pleased though - it meets all of my features needs and I really like the design.