seeking inspiration for decorating my room

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Oct 1, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Hey,

I recently moved house and my bedroom is reaaly nastily decorated, i have horrble grimey, dirty, stripey wallpaper (kind of a dirty cream and brown colour), and a thin brown carpet. everything above the picture rail used to be white, but is now kinda yellowy browny white, and a big brick chimney breast [sp?] (tehe, i said breast).

Seeing as i'm now working from home, i need to redecorate. Problem is, i'm on a tight budget (wallpaper is out of the question, as is changing the carpet). I'm looking to have a light, minimalistic room. I can't be too outrageous as its rented acomodation. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm pretty restricted for colours because of the brick chimney breast and brown carpet. None of my furnature matches (fully furnished rented space so i can't really ditch any of it, nor can i afford to replace it) . Anybody got any ideas? I'm reluctant to go with magnolia as its a little too boring, and i'm thinking a papyrus or terracota colour would be too dark for a working enviromnet.

Any tips or ideas for decorating on a budget would be hugely appreciated! Will try to get some pics asap.

Thanks in advance.

MrJ

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i can't really help you out... but you should watch a couple of those makeover/renovation show that are on TV now. we've got a couple here in Aus, so i'm sure you'd have a heap more there in Strongbadia. :p :D

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

all the ones here in strongbadia are a little too extravagent and assume you have a £500 budget to redecorate - i'm thinking maybe £50 tops

looks like mr magnolia is coming out to play (that was a very weird metaphor - its late)

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

it would be a lot easier if you could post a pic. it might not be possible, but it would sure help things along.

5. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Paint the walls first and foremost. I've always been a fan of bedrooms either being mocha or sage in color.

After you pick a wall color you need to pick one or two complimentary colors and then another that adds "pop" as my fiance puts it.

For example, once we get married our bedroom walls will be sage, with black and silver as complimentary colors (on things like furniture, art, etc.) and maroon will be the "pop."

-jeff

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hang a Red Green poster :D That's what I did. oop, don't see them in their store. Must have been a limited edition thing. But you can always hang a Red Green calendar
    http://redgreen.com/merchandise.asp

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Paint one wall a different color. Very cool effect and it worked for me. Good luck and post some pics - before/after - if you get a chance.

D

9. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

talk to the landlord/building owner about painting, reflooring, etc. i had a nasty, nasty apartment once and i worked out a deal with the landlord where i stripped and painted the walls and put down a hardwood floor, and he paid for all of the materials.

i got a better, brighter, happier home, and the landlord got to improve the value of his property without paying for labor. i've had a few property-owning friends say that they love to get offers like that from tenants, especially younger ones, because it says "hey, i care about this property and i'm not going to trash it."

it was easier than you might think. i bribed a few friends with pizza & beer and it took us about a week to tear up the old floor, paint the walls, and put in the hardwood. and we weren't working at a breakneck speed.

10. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ok, i've got some pictures of my room:

thoughts please

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

mrjamin I happen to think that it is a very nice looking room. Have the brick look is great. Nice looking wallpaper. Added shelving is always helpful!

12. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I'd start off first with paint.
    Then get a nice natural colour area rug. And for the love of god do something about that window treatment ASAP.

Where's the pic that shows the floor?

Another thing i've noticed is that you have no living things in that room. Well besides you.
    I'd add some bamboo for good luck. It's really inexpensive and it's almost impossible to kill.

13. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

here:

Window treatment? it's white uPVC! Not much i can do about that.

At the moment i'm thinking magnolia walls with a teracotta picture rail, then white above that and on the ceiling. My dad has a texturised roller so i'm thinking that if i mix a little bit of the teracotta with some magnolia and use the textured roller over the top of the magnolia walls to make things a little more interesting.

14. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I meant that flowery thing near the window. The floors don't look bad..

The way you decorate should be a reflection of you.

So what kinda leeway do you have with the landlord?

15. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

it has to be neutral and can't affect any of the furnature in the room. I would replace the curtains but the fact of the matter is that i really can't afford to!

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

17. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Paint the door.

That's all I can recommend, it looks great to me :)

18. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

well, its not an apple product! It's what's called a Light Box and helps provide natural daylight when its gloomy/early morning - i suffer from SADs (seasonal affective disorder) so when winter approaches its supposed to make a difference. THe guy i'm borrowing it off just put an apple sticker on it when he got his 12"

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Please don't paint the door mrjamin. I think that the natural beauty of the wood should be preserved. The same thing goes for brick.

20. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

yeah - i want to keep the door and the brick!

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you mrjamin you don't know how happy that make me feel. So what are you thoughts for redecoration? It seems that just some reorganization would do wonders.

22. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

well, reorganization is impossible unfortunately. Its a pretty small room! i have a double bed which can only go in one place as there's no room for it anywhere else. If i put my desk at the other end then i wouldn't be able to get past the door and the bed (plus i like to be near a window because of my SAD). That doesn't really leave anywhere else to put my chest of drawers, guitars and amplifier

23. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

You could still stain or lacquer it...Might be different sensibilities around there, but I grew up in the woods, and that door looks just a bit too rustic for a room where the walls are covered with burned CD's and with a Mac in the corner. Incongruous, you know? At least where I come from, we wouldn't let bare wood like that go untouched.

The brick is fine, but it looks a bit dirty. Might I recommend a good albeit careful pressure washing? Something to fix that staining would be a plus.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with cleaning the brick flooring, they do look dull. By organizing I didn't really mean that you had to move any furniture. Looks like you could use some additional shelves and organize some of the one's that you have. Try hiding some of the wires. I think that the organized look would give it a whole new appearance. You can make some shelves with cement blocks and partical board, its inexpensive. Then can be painted.

25. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I'm not sure about hiding wires. If your walls are already covered in burned CD's, you're halfway to a techno look already, so there's nothing wrong with exposed wires then.