Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyBunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
I'm a real newbie to macs so bear with me. Purchased a new iMac 17" a few weeks ago and decided last night to run SafeShred (a file shredder utility) on my hard drive - thought I might clean it up a little. So, after a fairly short while, my iMac seemed to freeze - I couldn't get past the screensaver - though I could hear SafeShred running in the background. I decided to let it go through the night and this morning it was still frozen and the only thing I could do was disconnect the power supply. So, when I rebooted, my hard drive says that I have less than 1Gb free - over 79Gb used! My preference files seem to be shot to hell, I can hardly do anything on it. Every program I run seems screwed.

Needless to say, SafeShred is not that safe. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? Many thanks for any input.

:confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
In truth, I would recommend backing up your data files (burn them to CD?) and using the restore disks that came with your system to do a clean fresh install..

Or you could complain to the safeshred folks first and see if they have any comment.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Unless you have some important stuff on it i would reload all my stuff from the disc that came with your machine if im not mistaken. Also i have heard a lot of stories where utilities can screw up more things then they fix. I have a powermac 800 and have never even ran any of these because of what i had seen in the past. 2 year old system doing fine and im a gamer and play with photos. Hopefully you will get some more ideas from the readers. The 17 imac is one sweet looking machine. good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.