seemingly dead iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dagless, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

a friend of mine at university bought a 14" iBook back in december, and a couple of days ago she was working on an essay, saved it, then the whole thing just died!
    it no longer boots up or gives any sign of life. she tried taking the battery out and sticking the power cable in, just about the only thing you really can do when a system just 'dies'.

any ideas of what this could be?

and another mate who got a 12" iBook back in october and his USB/FW ports just arnt working.

kinda glad i bought a PB now... but seriously, anybody heard of these problems before?

2. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

ok

try zapping the pram

hold down the apple+option+p+r key and press power let the machine chime for 3 times before releasing the power button

if not try resetting the pmu look at apple online for instructions !

if u can boot up in to open firmware hold down apple+option+o+f and press power , once in type reset-nvram and press enter then type mac-boot

if the machine is refusing to power up at all is the ac giving the machine or battery power ?

i would look at a logic board if it can't even get in to open firmware

hope one of these works :)

3. t^3 macrumors regular

If it hasn't been a year since it was purchased, take it to an Apple service provider, as it's still under warranty.

4. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Leave it unplugged with the battery out overnight, this will reset the NV-RAM.

Nothing happens when she pushes the power button? Does the caps-lock light come on when it is pushed?