Sega Dreamcast History - PS3 to repeat PS2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I found this really interesting video on the Sega Dreamcast by G4.

It's really good and informative.

What I thought was especially interesting was the talk of how PS2 really took over japan because of DVD. DVD hadn't caught on yet and PS2 released as the cheapest DVD player available. Sounds like Sony might be trying to do the same thing with PS3 and Blu-ray, but will it work? Is the leep from DVD to BD really going to be as large as from VHS to DVD?

Anyway, a good watch! Love my Dreamcast still and it was by far the most exciting and fun console system launch I've ever experienced; and also the best launch line up I've ever seen.

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

All the PS3 sales (when they eventually happen) will definitely be helping out Blu Ray's position in its battle with HD-DVD. It's still too early to say what will happen though...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Absolutely, and absolutely. And if not Blu-Ray, then HD-DVD. With the current proliferation of HD TVs in people's homes, it's time that home video caught up. Since broadband still isn't in everyone's home (is it even in the majority yet?), video on demand via internet still hasn't fully come to fruition. Not to mention integration between internet and one's HDTV is still rather rare, so even if you DID have the broadband with bandwidth capable of downloading a HiDef movie, you may not be able to get it to your TV. So until infrastructure gets to the point where that IS possible, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will rule the roost (eventually).

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

ahh, i remember my dreamcast fondly...wonderful days

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

here's hoping Blu and HDDVD both become "standards" (DVD took forever to become standardized up until about 2001 even when they were selling DVDs like mad, causing many compatibility problems and requiring firmware updates etc) and that every player on the market plays both. It would be up to the manufacturers, producers, studios etc to choose which to use.

There are pros and cons to both.

But there are WAAAAAYAAAAAAAYAAYAYAYAYAY more cons to having them duke it out like BetaMax.

We (consumers/manufacturers) are far too grown up for this MINES BETTER bull.

6. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

So anyone actually watching/watched the video? Doesn't seem like it and you really should. :)

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

watching right now buddy.

- about the Saturn

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Em, PS2 more powerful than the DC?

Still debatable.

9. turbopants macrumors regular

I love my Dreamcast as well, it's still a great system.

Sony is definitely hoping for Blu-Ray to take off with the PS3. That may be why they are waiting until the end of the year to release the PS3, people will be ready for HD movies around that time. I know many will buy the PS3 for the gaming system, but the new drive may get many others to pick it up as an HD movie player as well.

10. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I for one think the new console wars will be won because of online service. The hardware will be next in line to determine the winner. I like all 3 companies alot esp Nintendo but i gotta tell ya Xbox's Lives service is very very polished and i thinks that is a huge step for them. Not to mention they had the first next gen console on the market. Anyone who hasn't tried Xbox Live for the 360 really should its wonderful.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Who cares about power - game selection is where it's at. :cool:

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Putting Blu-Ray in the PS3 is a good move by Sony....only time will tell the outcome.

Bless

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The Irony was that the hardware positions on the saturn and PS were reversed with the DC and PS2, the DC was easy to program for and was cheap to make while the PS2 was the opposite.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hehe, on the parallels thing, there was a funny one comparing the 360 to the Dreamcast. It even had things like "ugly black console replaced by sleek white console" and "famous rich bald guy turned up to release party" :p

15. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, as it stands, Blu-ray discs are hell to manufacture. They cost a lot, and the yield isn't very high at the moment. I'm sure that this will improve over time, but there's definitely going to be some sort of format war. Sony's obviously pushing Blu-ray hard, but they're meeting resistance along the way.

16. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

just wondering, was this based on the last movie you released on Blue-Ray or the game your developing use BR.

I think this is a very smart move for sony and a good push for consumers. I mean for how long have we been trying to kill off the analog signal in the US and convert the HD. I know many people who now own an HD set, thanks to the 360. So little steps like this to help consumers move into the next tech erra are appreciated

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Very interesting video. Yep I will always remain skeptical of Sony's hyperbole..

As for.

HD-DVD & BluRay are still very much up in the air. I honestly put them in the same boat as Laserdisc. Offering far advanced technology for its time, but expensive retail cost and general buyer apathy left it in the dust, bar the techology geeks. (i was one I'll admit it).

I think both Hd-DVD & BluRay are a format too soon for the general masses and it with the format that comes from it or it converges into that will be the true successor to DVD.

Much like Philips DCC & Sony Mini disc battle to replace cassette tape both failed and it was a format a number of years later that caught on MP3.

Offering better quality does not mean average Joe Soap is going to rush out and purchase you. Convieance & Cheapness is more important than quality, as the level of legal MP3's sold on iTunes is testamount to. After all MP3 is a reduction in quality rather than improvement. It's the price and easy delievery system that makes it a winner.

BluRay & HD-DVD have too many ?? over them, and HDTV's wont be in the majority of households for a long time yet, more over here in Europe. Viewing either of those formats on anything other than HDTV is moribund.

Added to the fact that a lot of people who early adopted supposedly HDReady set are going to be in for a nice surprise when they realise that they dont have an HDCP - DVI or HDMI socket and hence their 12-18 month old very expensive TV set is now utterly redundant..

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah that one was from 1up.com
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154

quite funny

for hd-dvd vs. blu-ray
    it might end up like SACD vs. DVD Audio ... both improvements over the CD but the advantage wasn't enough for most people
    (personally i will very likely skip until the next format or go complete digital distribution.... for movies dvds are enough for me)

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly my point. :)

20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

In a years time the market will be be mature.

I remember seeing the worlds (almost) 1st DVD player in an electrical shop, cost a packet and there was naff all released - still had that "wow" factor though.

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Seems to me that the biggest problem with BluRay is that HVD is apparently only about a couple of years behind it in terms of getting consumer versions out there. And HVD makes BluRay's storage advantage over HD-DVD look pretty trivial by comparison.

--Eric

22. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Perhaps I'm just not enough of a Videophile but BD/HD-DVD really don't interest me a great deal. I definitely do not want to re-buy the movies I have on DVD (as I did with VHS) and, while better quality does interest me, I am personally not willing to plunk down money for a new movie player.

I recall DVDs always being more expensive then VHS which of course is normal but the prices were not what I'm usually willing to pay. I don't watch the same movie 100 times, but if it is really good I like to own it. But $15 is about where I draw the line unless it's an amazing package (like LotR extended special editions). Paying $30 per movie, which is mere speculation as to what BD will cost, is something I'm not willing to do even if I did have a player. The quality difference would really have to be shattering!

Something tells me this is also the case with many many people. Perhaps BDs will hit for $20, perhaps. With the higher quality, more expensive production, etc... I just really doubt that.

After seeing the video it struck me that Sony wants to repeat history, kill off 360 like it did the Dreamcast. All the press so far feels eerily familiar to the days of DC. But does DVD really feel that "old" like VHS did? I don't think so, personally. The difference from watching DVD on an SD set to an HD set is already pretty good, I don't see most people really caring for more then that.

People will buy PS3, sure, but will they do that because of BD like I feel Sony is hoping? Not really, PS3 will release and the mass public won't even realize there were even plans to replace DVD... my guess is most consumers will be like "huh? really? why?"

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm kind of in the same boat - although higher quality would be nice for some movies, do I really care if I can buy Family Guy on Blu Ray? DVD quality is more than adequate, thanks. ;) Plus, I am going to need a Blu Ray player and a 1080p HDTV to fully realize the benefits, and that's no small amount of $$$, at least as it would stand for the next year or so until prices come down.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Theres also the added fact that in movies, so many filters and grain & bluring is added in post production that you dont really suddenly see everything in ultra sharpness. Of course HD looks fabulous on documentarys, but in movies nothing amazingly special at all.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

DVD is sufficient for me too. Much love I have for progressive scan DVD playing. Much love I do not have for rebuying what I own. I've only just started buying DVD's. not many still, I only buy what I *really* want so I have about 20 DVD's. It's taken me years to acquire them. I'm about to go out rebuying those discs but in a higher format.

At first I thought HD-DVD was going to succeed over BluRay. Primarily because they have Intel and Microsoft backing *big, big influences* and because of the lower price tag than what BluRay will cost. But more and more I'm thinking neither of these 2 are going to be in peoples homes over the next 5 years. They're both the next Minidisc, UMD, LaserDisc, BetaMax, SACD, DVD-A. Just a format that looks good on paper, but in a market that urges simplicity and cheapness - neither look likely. I say the next big thing will hit in 2010. It's 2006 and HDTV are still in the minority. The world simply isn't ready yet.