Sega

Discussion in 'Games' started by zap2, Jul 25, 2006.

?

What should Sega do in video game market

1. Sega should get back into the home system bussiness

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Sega should start making handheld

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Sega should stay as a software company only

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  4. Sega should stop selling everything

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. I don't care about Sega

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Do you think Sega could ever make its way back into the market, even with Sony, MS and Nintendo? I never owned a Dreamcast(or any other sega system) but i remember going to be cousins an seeing his dreamcast thinking it looked cool. Do you think Sega could build up a following useing other consoles, drop support for Wii, PS3 and xBox 360, and come out with a great wave of games that people could only get one the new Sega system? Or should they go after the handheld market, or just stay a software company?

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

As much as I'd love to see that happen, I doubt it would. They bombed in the handheld market and they just couldn't keep up in the hardware business. I did love the Dreamcast, though. I also enjoyed my Saturn and my Genesis systems, as well.

3. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

I can hardly remember my Genesis. I do know that I did love it though. I would really wish they would come back into gaming and kick a**!!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sega bombed the handheld market (Game Gear followed by Nomad), and the console market four times in a row (32X, CD, CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast). EA refused to support them the last time. I truly doubt any company would put enough trust in Sega to back them, so any new console will have dismal third party support, and the value of the Sonic franchise has died with the crappiness of newer games. :(

I don't think there is room for a fourth console in the market.

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

If the sega genesis came back I'd be the happiest girl in the world. I still have one, and I use it on occaison, but it doesn't wrok so well anymore. It's still my favorite console. I think they should bring back the sega genesis- but improved. Call it the "Second Coming". I know this will never happen, but I loved that sega genesis so, and now I have to shake the crap out of it to play x-men for 5 minutes

6. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

You do know that the genesis is one of the cheapest consoles to collect for, right? Your problems would be solved by going to ebay and paying 3 dollars for a nice unit that requires little to no shaking.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Seeing that Sega Genesis is my all time favorite system, I'm definitely in favor of Sega coming back to the console market. However, they really need to work on more quality software and re-establish their company name first. Then perhaps when the console market isn't so flooded, so they take another stab at it.

Probably won't happen anytime soon.

8. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Sure I do. But it was the first console I ever had. And as annoying as trying to get it to work can be, I secretly enjoy it. Shhhh...let's keep it our little secret ;)

9. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

Sega should concentrated on :

Software
    Arcade Machines

Although I guess the 'arcade machine' is slowly dissapearing!

long live Galaga.

10. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Calling the Dreamcast a bomb is quite an overstatement; it received much critical praise and a degree of success financially. It wasn't a bomb, it was an ALMOST. The DVD-equipped PS2 captured the Japanese market so successfully based more upon the fact that it was actually cheaper than many standard DVD players available at the time (VCDs were still commercially popular in Japan at that point , so DVDs hadn't gained enough market share to go into huge mass production and come down in price) than its game library.

Anyway, I think that the only room left in the console industry remains in handhelds, in which it is virtually impossible to succeed against Nintendo's stranglehold. Sega, for the time being, has no options other than software development IMO.

11. WillMak macrumors 6502a

gamegear would have been great if it wasn't so damn huge and didn't require 6 AA batteries that would only last 3-4 hours of gameplay.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I don't know much about this, so the first question I'd be asking is if Sega has the resources to put up a valid fight against the big three. Microsoft seems to think they can win if they throw enough money at the fight, Sony has the tech-spec fanboys, and Nintendo has the rest. What could Sega bring to the table?

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if they did several months of hype after the ps3 is out, say use conroe and a a gpu similar to the r500 in the 360 and most importantly a drive that plays HD-DVD and blue ray.

they could do it but they won't.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I say Sega jump back in where they were best, offering competition to Nintendo. I'd like a weaker system but with some new way of interaction. Another creative offering forcing Nintendo to make best use of that controller.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Don't get me wrong. The console was awesome. But in the marketplace, it completely bombed compared to any of its competitors. It did successfully sell over a million, but production was stopped two years after it was first sold.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I really don't think it would help improve Sega's games for them to have their own hardware. I usually played Sega systems for Sega games (and yes I liked Sonic Adventure, etc.)

So it really would seem pointless for them to make a new home system. Part of the problem with their systems, to me, was that their strength is in software... so the hardware came up short.

I would have liked to see them pick a platform though, that is why I bought my Xbox originally. But that doesn't make the best financial sense either.

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It has since been put back into production in Japan, actually. It was stopped not due to lack of demand, but because of the company's decision to switch operations to software-only publisher/developer.

So I'd have to agree with the other poster and say that "bombed" would not be the right word for it. Production originally stopped only because they had manufactured an overstock, once those sold it came back into production but only in Japan. I believe you can still today buy one, but they did not market it since they were no longer supporting it with new software.

18. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Furthermore, Wally World, Target, et. al. sell a genesis system-in-a-controller with built in first-party (SEGA-published) games, like the 16-bit Sonic games, Streets of Rage, etc.

OTOH, while I love SEGA with every bone in my body, and I'm saddened at what they've become, I don't think it's a good idea for them to get back into the console biz...just not enough room.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Voted they should stay as a software publisher.

Simply as it would be totaly unrealistic for them to suddenly go back into the manufacturing of hardware business.

Besides 3 consoles is more than enough, for all developers.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would like to see them back at it but like someone mention....3rd party support will be short and sonic sucks. Sega Dreamcast rocked...Sega CD/Saturn sucked arse.

Bless

21. Vster macrumors 6502

I wish they would make consoles again. :)

I miss Sega...:(

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only way SEGA would make a console again is if they get bought out, after the Dreamcast sunk the company they shifted focus onto software and I don't think they could get back market share or the resources needed to develop one.

23. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Ok MAN
    ;)

24. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Sega didn't just successfully sell over a million Dreamcasts, they sold 11 million worldwide (4.5 million in the US) or more than half as many Dreamcasts sold as the number of Gamecubes that Nintendo has sold worldwide (21 million). It was almost enough to stay in the game, but not quite enough. It really is too bad; I don't think Sega's games have made a good showing of themselves overall since the Dreamcast failed.