segway..do you have one?

Discussion in 'Community' started by asif786, May 30, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

ok, so it's my birthday next month and i'm trying to pick something. i was watching arrested development and i noticed the little scooter thing gob has..it's kinda cool :D

anyway, i was wondering, does anyone have one of these? what do you think of it? is it good? i cant see myself taking it around on the train and stuff, but it would definitely be cool for getting to people's houses etc... my only concern is that it looks kinda big.

anyway, their website is: www.segway.com

amazon have some for sale: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/492555/segwayofficia-20/102-0773787-8584959

so, i reckon it'll cost around $4500 in the end (after shipping to the uk). still *not too bad* though.

oh, and lastly - while i added this to my cart at amazon (to check the price) it gave me a list of what other people buy with this - i've attached it below - kinda interesting! :D

[​IMG]

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Really? That all? I'd be far more concerned with the price tag, it's ridiculous! :eek:

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I don't own one, but I've taken a spin of one!

They are really cool, if you can get over the high price tag.

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

A segway is so stupid - $4500+ to stand on a moving machine...

5. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

well, in terms of price, i'm not fussed because..there's not much i can do about the price - the one i'm looking at is fairly new, so i'm paying the early adopter's price. the technology it incorporates certainly seems worth the money. the price only becomes an issue if i buy the thing and then never use it, or regret having bought it. that would just be silly :rolleyes:

aside from their high price tag, are these things fairly popular in the states?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    IIRC correctly, the main problem is that you're not allowed to use them on the pavement in the UK and there's no way I'd take one into London traffic. Found the link about Segway not taking off in UK from April this year on BBC.

They're quite a bit bigger than you think they might be. I was surprised at the bulk it had - no way you're going to get than onto the train/Tube that easily. They are a lot of fun - I went on a tour of Washington on one.

To be honest, I'd keep the cash and do something else with it. Keep it for a gap year or start saving for that house deposit (stick it in Premium Bonds or something - you get the chance to win some cash and don't lose capital) now or in the future. If you're going to blow it, don't do it on a white elephant - do it on a experience that you'll remember forever.

7. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

thanks for the info spidey. looks like i'll have to do some more research :rolleyes:

in terms of saving: nooooooo, you sound just like my mother :p (j/k). i wouldn't dare taking it onto the road (especially with london's aggressive drivers), but i didn't think that using it on the pavement would be a problem..you're not meant to ride bikes on the pavement, and people still do it right?

in terms of the size, i think it depends what one you tried. the most common 'i' series is larger, whereas the new 'p' series is a lot more compact and therefore much more expensive.

i can see the cons mounting up, but i still want one :D i'm gonna see if i can find somewhere to try one in the uk. any canadians here? has it taken off there? i'm going to canada for a week or so next thursday, so maybe i'll get to try one ther.

thanks for the replies so far guys.. :)

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Try getting away from the Old Bill on a segway, what's the top speed? 12mph? :eek:

9. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

nope, but i see them in random tech boutiks, where in canada are you going?

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Well, maybe just stick it away until Parliament pass a bill declaring them pavement-legal. I do think Segway users are probably safer than some of those on mobility scooters! Blowing it on walking the Inca Trail or canoeing up the Amazon doesn't appeal - just so as to not sound like your mother!

11. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

umm..i think i'll be going to calgary and then to toronto. i'll have to take a look on the segway website; they probably list dealers there. :)

12. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

ehm... Do we in west really need yet another contraption preventing us from any possibilities of breaking a sweat? :confused:
    just my 2c.

I have yet to understand the rationale behind peoples decision that drive back and forth the spinning class.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Once these get down to two grand new, I'm buying one.

I rent one here in Annapolis when I am doing shoots for the Tourism Board, such a great way to get around and take lots of pics in s short time.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, people pay upwards to $100,000 to sit in a moving machine, so why not?

15. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I remember an article (FHM I think - so not the best source ;) )advocating mobility cars. They cost about £1500 - £2000. With an average taxi ride at £15 (thanks Ken :D ) they work out at 3 a week for a year or 1 a week for 1 year, The best bit, however, - you cannot be stopped for drunk driving on one -bonus :p
    Note: I do not condone drunk driving in any way, shape or form. Anyone who drives drunk should have their licence taken permanently (my cousin *cough* wanker* cough)