Segway Talk (formerly Something is Coming...)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by copperpipe, Jun 16, 2003.

1. copperpipe macrumors regular

or maybe it's just the rumor sites. Sheesh, I haven't heard this much hype since Darth Vader turned out to be Lukes dad. Anyway, hype=disappointment, just ask the guy who invented the two wheeled gyroscopic buggy G.W. likes so much. What's his name?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dean Kamen

3. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Re: isn't apple violating a hype standards?

I take offense to that. First of all, Dean Kamen is one of my heroes, and is really a fantastic person as well as stupendous inventor and humanitarian. The Segway Human Transporter was hyped, and in my opinion, it has lived up to its hype. I personally attended one of his speeches where he explained how revolutionary the Segway is, and let me tell you, he is absolutely right. I have met and talked to him, and he is down to earth, and an all around good guy. Segway was not a failure, so please do not talk trash about Dean Kamen or his glorious invention unless you know anything about it.

--Waluigi

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: isn't apple violating a hype standards?

i completly agree, thats not even his best invention, have you seen his device that he turned muddy water into pure drinking water, i forgot what it was called but it was soemthing that could be used in africa without electricity i believe. just imagin the possibilties.

iJon

5. illumin8 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, you think the Segway was a glorious invention and you watch O'Reilly on Fox News???

Normally I refrain from personal attacks but you are either trolling or just plain stupid... :rolleyes:

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: isn't apple violating a hype standards?

why do you care what he likes, personally i feel the segway is pretty badass I dont see why that makes either of us stupid.

iJon

7. Waluigi macrumors 6502

This comment is, by far, the most despicable, biggest pile of human mind puke I have ever read. Your personal attack on me is disgraceful, and macrumors should be ashamed for even letting you become a member. Grow up, please. This is a rumor site for apple based products, not a place where mindless ideologues can push their agenda and make personal attacks. I have personally used a Segway, and was very satisfied. Also, if you knew how much potential the Segway has to shape and further our world as a whole, you would also call it ‘glorious’. As for Bill O’Reilly, I watch his show, and like it, what is wrong with that? But, for now, your just plain spinning, and you are ridiculous.

--Waluigi

8. NNO-Stephen macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

9. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Hahahaha! Yes, that is the Segway. Unfortunately the first time you get on, it is really wierd, and if your not being spotted by someone, you might fall off. That is the only time you should fall off though. This is however, pretty funny. www.segway.com has more info and pictures too.

--Waluigi

10. copperpipe thread starter macrumors regular

u took offense?

wow, people can really be sensitive about the segway. Sure it's a cool toy, but I've never seen SO MUCH HYPE over this thing. C'mon, they said it would change the world, that cities would be built around it, and so on. To me, that's some serious hype that I think reflects poorly on the designer (it reeks of an over inflated ego, imho). Anyway, I forgot the guys name, so sue me. And yes, it is quite a neat-o invention and I'd buy one if I was a bazillion-aire. I was just saying watch out for the hype flying around, it can bite you in the butt!

11. Qunchuy macrumors regular

Yep, that thing. It's a real shame some cities classify it along with motorcycles instead of powered wheelchairs, and ban it from sidewalks. I can see it taking over some of the "road share" from golf carts in some communities, though.

Note -- it's darn near impossible to fall off the front of a Segway HT if it's in "balance" mode, even if you've never set foot on one in your life. Those pictures are consistent with its being set to "follow me" mode instead, or even just plain turned off. Of course, it is pretty silly to try to start riding it when you're holding a (badminton?) racket in your hand...

I think the mode indicator on a Segway is reminiscent of a Happy Mac face, by the way.

We all know Steve was muchly enamored of the device when he previewed it. Didn't he predict that whole cities would be redesigned around its abilities?

12. copperpipe thread starter macrumors regular

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: off topic, but heck...

souns like steve to me, but he says it how it is and im sure they respected his opinion, whether they liked it or not, kind of like dr laura on the radio.

iJon

14. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I found it impressive that somebody managed to fall off a Segway.
    I tried to screw with its balance and didn't manage to get it to do more than lean a little.
    I wonder if he tried to get on it with the kickstand extended?

Dean Kamen will generate a lot of buzz with anything that he works on.
    It is still rumored that Segway is just part one of a two part plan to introduce some sort of hover device.
    I think that's outrageous. But hey, every World's Fair in the last century predicted flying cars. I'm still waiting.
    What is likely is that the super efficient Sterling engine that he is working may help the world.

I'll tell you this- If I end up in a wheel chair, I hope that I can afford the one he designed.

15. daytona63 macrumors member

I read that article and was intrigued, but I also read the review at
    http://www.bookofseg.com/ and was surprised that the guy who wrote that book has been criticized for, how shall we put it, pushing the limits of the truth. I also saw this discussed elsewhere. Anyways, just some food for thought.

I personally thing Dean Kamen is the man, Bill O'Reilly is the man, GW is the man, Steve Jobs is the man, and that having a Segway would make me the man. They're incredible, and if I could justify it I'd buy one, but where I live and work just doesn't do that for me.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm sorry. I'm confused by your statement... who do you think is trolling?

Lethal

17. Mr. MacPhisto macrumors 6502

What?!? Darth Vader is Luke's dad? Stop spreading lies man! There's no way cute little Jake Lloyd-esque Anakin Skywalker could have ever become Darth Vader, the most evil man/machine combo job the universe has ever known (outside of Bill Gates). Next you're going to tell me that Rock Hudson was gay or Milli Vanilli didn't really sing their songs. You people will just stop at nothing.

18. ozubahn macrumors regular

Re: u took offense?

They did say that cities would be built around it, but they didn't say when. The Segway has been public for about a year, and every single major city constructed in that time has been built around it. So far so good. We'll have to wait four or five decades before we can safely call them wrong. That's how long it took the automobile to make fools of all the naysayers.

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

My university (Kettering, a tech uni named after Charles Kettering, who was a GM bigwig and inventor of the automatic starter) gave Kamen an honorary degree. It's all rather amusing. It's all about the hype, and Kettering tries to follow the hype to wherever its found.

20. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Maybe you should actually research how the Segway works or actually view one in person before you call it or it's creator a disappointment. What exactly are you basing your belief that the Segway is a disappointment on anyways, because the whole world has not bought one yet or maybe because all the cities havn't torn down their sidewalks and immediately replaced them to suit the segway.....?

21. cubist macrumors 68020

We do need something to replace cars, because at the rate their prices are going up, they will be completely unaffordable in ten years; and at the rate traffic lights are being erected in Northern Virginia, in ten years they will be one car length apart, and completely unsynchronized.

The name "Segway" is rather odd - a phonetization of "segue" - reminiscent of NeXT; like they do expect it to be an interim product for something else.

Frankly, the main problem with the Segway is the high price.

22. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean he's asking for personal attacks or trolling. Grow up.

23. snahabed macrumors regular

snahabed

To me, the Segway is like a Tablet PC -- an industrial product that does not translate to valid, cost-effective consumer utility.

I get the utility of the Segway in industrial settings. Factories, postal service, couriers, etc.

But as a "human transporter," in my opinion, it is simply overkill for what it does. If a distance is long, take a car or public transportation. If it is short, walk, run, or bike. The Segway is a solution where there is no problem. A $5,000 solution. My legs are free, thanks :) Plus, it is just one more way for lazy fat people to be lazy and fat. This is not pejorative -- obesity is a public health epidemic. Then again, I can see where this would be of great use to elderly people. But elderly people aren't exactly known for quick reflexes and openness to newfangled contraptions!

Of course, the Segway seems like amazing technology. I am not saying the man isn't a genius. I just don't understand the utility in a mass, consumer setting.

24. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    isn't the iPod the same??

haha, classic on GWB falling off, I mean, we all (well, most) knew he's a retard, but now this sums it up :D

25. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Re: u took offense?

bazillion-aire? Do you even know how much it's costs? How about you wait to form your opinion until AFTER you have the facts in front of you.

Cities could be built around this, global warming, pollution, crowded streets, lack of parking spaces, crappy public transportation and traffic jams make this the perfect alternative to walking and riding a bike.