Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Dakota316 - did you own a LP Fre case before the Obex? If so you are just experiencing paranoia from owning the Fre lol. I do not have any rattling through the speaker. :D

LOL You sir are correct. I did have a Lifeproof case. Believe it or not, after going through a few replacements I got a good one. Version number I honestly don't know, but the back piece does not have the clear glued on pieces, its just the 3 pieces that were already on the back are a bit more raised up, and the sound rattling is nonexistant. I am just giving this case a shot, and it may be just paranoia because my cases before the final Lifeproof I got were TERRIBLE for sound. Gonna give this case a few days and see how I like it, but so far its pretty dang good. Will take a bit to get used to the dots on the screen, but its something I can get used to for sure. At least I wont have the oil slicks all over the place, lol.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Finally got in my case. Did everyone do the water test first?
I see the instructions state at least 5 minutes for the water test. I'm going to give it the Lifeproof 1 hour test. :)

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Finally got in my case. Did everyone do the water test first?
I see the instructions state at least 5 minutes for the water test. I'm going to give it the Lifeproof 1 hour test. :)

Sweet Congratz. Yea I left it in there for a 30 mins. Let us know what you think.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
OK, I've only played with the case for about 15 minutes and here is what I think.
All around way better then the Lifeproof but not perfect. The sound quality is a lot better but the speaker phone sound does still come from the back of the case like the LP with some of the audio from the bottom of the case. You can see in the pictures from the Cubano21 the channeled area where the sound is corralled up on the inside back shell.
This is why the back of the case is raised on the top & bottom so the sound can get out while the case is laying flat on it's back.

The screen protector is a thousand times nicer then the LF with no oil slicks/rainbow marks, the little dots I can live with and are hardly noticeable. Nice flat screen.
I'll get some more time to play around with it later tonight and see how it performs.

I'm also getting the Atlas, armor and have already paid for the TakTik Extreme and will see how they all stack up once I have them in hand.

If your considering Lifeproof or the Obex, the Obex is the one to get now.

Jakkejakkejakke

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I'm also getting the Atlas, armor and have already paid for the TakTik Extreme and will see how they all stack up once I have them in hand.

That's about an iPhone 4 worth in cases :p

I've got the LP Fre and the screen is very flush (except the bottom). It's a good case but now I'm hesitating to buy the Obex because of the fact that the audio port is much more convenient. And I don't think the front cover with the hard rubber material won't last a lifetime.

But at the moment I'm a happy Fre-user :)

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I wonder if I got a bad case or something. Here is a video showing what my sound sounds like. Reminds me of my first Lifeproof, lol.

http://youtu.be/VeU1GTBa1YU

The sound from the one I received is not that great either on speaker phone or when playing music. It's better then the Lifeproof but far from perfect. It has it's tinny moments. :( The sound is routed through the back panel and this is a recipe for disaster on any case.

Another thing I don't like about the Obex are the rubber port plugs. I can see these not having much longevity. Will be using the case today and see how it performs.

Also see a couple of mars to the finish on the front of the case where the edges of the belt clip hit. Anyone else notice this?

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
The sound from the one I received is not that great either on speaker phone or when playing music. It's better then the Lifeproof but far from perfect. It has it's tinny moments. :( The sound is routed through the back panel and this is a recipe for disaster on any case.

Another thing I don't like about the Obex are the rubber port plugs. I can see these not having much longevity. Will be using the case today and see how it performs.

Also see a couple of mars to the finish on the front of the case where the edges of the belt clip hit. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah thats true. Although the Lifeproof I had before I got this Obex, the backpiece had the 3 raised black pieces on it, and to be honest, it didnt make the rattling at all that this Obex does. I have a feeling I may be pulling back out the Lifeproof. Also, on the subject of the silicone plugs, I can see them lasting quite a while. They seem to be pretty dang durable. Who knows though, lol. At least it was a try, im gonna do the same and play with it more today, but I believe the Lifeproof may come back out, lol.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah thats true. Although the Lifeproof I had before I got this Obex, the backpiece had the 3 raised black pieces on it, and to be honest, it didnt make the rattling at all that this Obex does. I have a feeling I may be pulling back out the Lifeproof. Also, on the subject of the silicone plugs, I can see them lasting quite a while. They seem to be pretty dang durable. Who knows though, lol. At least it was a try, im gonna do the same and play with it more today, but I believe the Lifeproof may come back out, lol.

The thing sounds like an old blown hi-fi speaker from the 1970's :eek:

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder if I got a bad case or something. Here is a video showing what my sound sounds like. Reminds me of my first Lifeproof, lol.

http://youtu.be/VeU1GTBa1YU

Ill be honest, when I first got the case it was a little rattly. It is not at all now, I use my phone very extensively for work. I speak to people all day on the speaker phone, and also listen to music. Now I do not have the volume full blast usually one or two clicks down, that's even with no case on it. It's like any music device you turn it up full blast you may get distortion. Now I have had the case almost a week now and I can honestly say it does not rattle. This could be like anything the case may need to settle in. I will try to put a recording together of what mine sounds like to show you.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone's case show any mars to the finish on the front shell like where the clips edges would hit?

mike1111

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
My case sounds tinny and rattles as well on max volume. It's not a problem if the volume is around 3 clicks below max, but on max it's almost as bad as Lifeproof. And if I had to guess I would say volume overall is 2-4 clicks lower in general.
So if you usually have the volume at only 2/3 at the most (with the naked iPhone), then I would say you're gonna be fine. But if you're used to having the volume on max for music, podcasts or speakerphone, then you will be disappointed.

puppers

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Detroit, MI
My case sounds tinny and rattles as well on max volume. It's not a problem if the volume is around 3 clicks below max, but on max it's almost as bad as Lifeproof. And if I had to guess I would say volume overall is 2-4 clicks lower in general.
So if you usually have the volume at only 2/3 at the most (with the naked iPhone), then I would say you're gonna be fine. But if you're used to having the volume on max for music, podcasts or speakerphone, then you will be disappointed.

Maybe it is the membrane that is rattling?

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Maybe it is the membrane that is rattling?

Whatever it is, its going back to Seidio. lol I put in for an RMA per the rep on the chat, and I stated to her I wanted every penny of my money back with no restocking fee, and I also want the shipping back, as not only is the case defective because of the way it sounds, but the order was not complete, as they did not ship the spare plugs that are advertised in the manual it is supposed to come with. We will see what comes of that. But in the meantime, broke the Lifeproof back out, and now have perfect sound :)

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Whatever it is, its going back to Seidio. lol I put in for an RMA per the rep on the chat, and I stated to her I wanted every penny of my money back with no restocking fee, and I also want the shipping back, as not only is the case defective because of the way it sounds, but the order was not complete, as they did not ship the spare plugs that are advertised in the manual it is supposed to come with. We will see what comes of that. But in the meantime, broke the Lifeproof back out, and now have perfect sound :)

dakota, what version Lifeproof do you have?

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
dakota, what version Lifeproof do you have?

Honestly Hooterville I really don't 100% know what version as theres been so many. LOL. I can tell you my front has the foam at the top, and at the bottom both, which I think is version 3, 2, or 1, as I believe all 3 were designed this way. The back on the otherhand, has the foam towards the top, and underneath the apple logo window its got the 3 black pieces that have been there since the beginning of the case, but they are all raised about 2 or 3 times taller than originally. I do know I combined 2 cases together, and this one is great. I do have some oil slicks on the front, but only noticeable with the screen off. Ill try to find a pic of my back piece, because I know it's in the Lifeproof thread.

Edit: The one I have back wise is actually a pic you posted in the Lifeproof thread, its this one. Ive had no problems with the sound with this back piece.

gen501.jpg

Last edited:

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012

How long have you had the Obex case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.