Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenGonz91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Hi, I have a macbook with an HDD and an SSD where the optical drive was. I just set it up so I'm booting my OS and apps from the SSD and I have my User folder on my HDD. I'm not sure how to get all my user settings to be applied on my SSD though, and I had found something telling you how, but it was written before Lion came out, so the System Preferences have changed a bit so I'm not sure where to look. Please help!

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Hi, I have a macbook with an HDD and an SSD where the optical drive was. I just set it up so I'm booting my OS and apps from the SSD and I have my User folder on my HDD. I'm not sure how to get all my user settings to be applied on my SSD though, and I had found something telling you how, but it was written before Lion came out, so the System Preferences have changed a bit so I'm not sure where to look. Please help!

I would imagine it being as simple as creating a symlink.
Also the OS accesses the home folder all the time (library files, for ex) so it would keep the HDD spinning all the time, not very energy efficient. The way I do it is to move only Music, Movie, and Documents folder to the HDD, and create symlinks in the user folder.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

Right clicking on your user in User & Groups and choosing advanced options does not give you the option to change the path to your home directory on the HDD?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-05 at 6.40.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-05 at 6.40.15 PM.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 100

BenGonz91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Well I actually wasn't aware you had to right click it, but for some reason I'm unable to right click it so I'm still stuck

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
This is what I have been doing for the last server versions, but Lion is making things more difficult. I moved my home folder to the new partition, but, of course, none of the preferences I had set up moved since they are in the original home folder location. I would like to replace the Library folder in the new home folder with the Library folder from the old location. When I try to do this via the finder or terminal I get access denied, etc, etc, etc...

Has anyone done this? What is the easiest method?

GL

iLidz

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
California
Well I actually wasn't aware you had to right click it, but for some reason I'm unable to right click it so I'm still stuck

Have you enabled this feature? I believe it is off by default:
system preferences>mouse>point&click>secondaryclick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.