Selecting all visible objects in Illustrator

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by 2ndPath, Jun 6, 2006.

1. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Does anyone know a way to select all visible objects in illustrator? By visible I mean objects not covered completely behind other objects. What I want to do with this is to remove a large number of objects, which are hidden, from a file to make it smaller. If there is another way to do that, I am also fine with that.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you want to remove specific and overlapping objects that are not on a separate layer, it's probably best done in Outline view (Apple-Y).

You can then see their centre-points and by shift-clicking on each of the objects in turn you can select a whole bunch of them at once.

3. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is that it is more than a hundred of objects. Therefore I was hoping for an automatic solution. Otherwise I guess I will just live with the larger file.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What about selecting all the objects you do want and copying/moving them to a new layer and trashing the old layer beneath?

5. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

Also thanks for this hint, but the problem is the same: The objects which are covered, are covered by a large number of partially overlapping objects.

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

If the items you are trying to delete (keep) share the same or similar fill/stroke/transparency, you can use the magic wand.

Hit Y. Make sure you show the Magic Wand palette from the Window menu. Tweak the tolerance for stroke/fill.

7. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately the objects in front and the ones covered up by them are all of the same type.

8. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Can you post a small screenshot? Sometimes you can use the pathfinder to unite elements..

9. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a part of the picture. It is basically randomly scattered circles. I still want to have an opaque look, but there are much more circles underneath than needed.

Attached Files: