Self-assigned ip - Cannot connect to the internet on MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coheebuzz, May 9, 2006.

1. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

So i got my MBP yesterday, everything is great, rosetta is not as bad as i thought even with Photoshop and i already can't go anywhere without it! ;)

ANyway, i tried to connect my dsl modem so i could download updates etc, but i got an error that "the computer has a self-assigned ip address and cannot connect to the internet".

I am connected through an ethernet DSL modem, no routers or hubs. Now on my G5 it works just fine. I use DHCP and when I plug the cable and i get a 10.xxx ip as usual. Then when i unplug the cable and plug it on my MBP i get a default 192.xxx ip. The settings are exactly the same on both machines.
    I've called my ISP and they said that the modem remembers my G5's ip and i'll have to log off my account and power the modem off for 5 minutes and it should be ok. Tried that a dozen times but nothing, i keep getting the same error. Any clues? :confused:

2. webcookie macrumors member

It sounds kind of like something that was happening to me at my boyfriend's house, but resetting the router fixed it.

3. superted666 Guest

superted666

sounds like the modem....

Sounds like the modem maybe cashing your mac address.

Power off router for 5 minutes making sure power cable is removed.
    Connect router to mbp and power up the mac, then the router.... this sometimes catches my dads old NTL kit.

You may then have to renew the dhcp address under network prefs

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm guessing that the DSL modem remembers the G5's MAC address (yes, MAC, not Mac). If resetting it doesn't work (which actually surprises me), then I see a few options, all involving $$:

(1) Buy a new DSL modem. Expensive and means you need to deal with your ISP, which appears not to be all that helpful.

(2) Buy a cheap router - most let you 'fake' a MAC address, which means you could make it look like your G5. And - you'd be able to plug in both Macs at once. For just a few dollars more, you could get a router with wireless as well (much better).

There are probably other options, but those are the two I can come up with.

5. Coheebuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

My modem must have a really strong memory cause i've tried every suggestion but i keep getting the error. :(. I have disconnected all cables from the modem and let it sit for about 20 min but i still don't get an IP on the MBP. On the G5 i just plug it in a i instantly get the correct IP.

I also connected the MBP directly to my G5 to check if there is anything wrong with the ethernet card but that works fine. I guess a cheap router is the way to go.

Btw is there any chance my ISP gets our machine IP's and assigns them to the ones they give us, so they can make sure there is 1 account per computer?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, some DSL operators tie the account to the MAC address of the machine, and if you want to plug a second machine, they will charge more.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True - I've seen it using a few ISPs. But MAC address cloning with a router has always worked.

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

i remember i saw somewhere that allowed you to change the MAC address of the machine via UNIX, something about ipconfig i think. ill try to look it up soon.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not worth the time. Since he has indicated he has two machines, I assume at some point he'll want to share the internet connection. A quick $50 investment in a router that can do MAC address cloning is the better choice...