Self-Dustructing DVD's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dynamicd, May 16, 2003.

1. dynamicd macrumors 6502

2. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i guess it is sorta like those disposable cellphones.

4. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Hmm they make everything disposable nowadays..

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Aren't landfills already over flowing?? As long as this media isn't mass produced, and is just for a few select uses..

..but you're talking millions and millions of tossed DVD's a month if it replaces the current rental system...

...unless the DVD can be recycled after it's 2-day period.

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

somehow i think this will be impossible (unless you meant melted down and recycled) since the dvd itself undergoes a chemical change. unless the process is reversible, the DVD is useless after the 2 days (or however long it really takes). this probably isn't the case, because if it were easy enough to reverse, regular people would do it. if it were too hard, disney would not do it.

the only way to return the dvds (if that were a plan) would be to send them back to the company - since the whole point of doing this is getting rid of the need to have return sites - and who's going to do that?

what what about dvds that might "oxidize" at a different rate? i would be pretty mad if my movie only lasted 1 day (of course, i think the whole idea is dumb). also, would there not be spotty playback towards the end of the movie's life?

WORST IDEA EVER. ok, well not quite the worst idea *ever, but a bad idea nonetheless.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Wouldn't it be fun to rent Mission: Impossible and say to yourself "Good morning, Mr. Phelps. This DVD will self-destruct in 172800 seconds."?

8. Pablo macrumors regular

Don't these idiots remember what Divx used to stand for?

Basically the same idea, although the discs would not 'self destruct', but would require telephone activation that attempted to provide the same limited life.

Became a complete failure.

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

will it stuff up DVD quality when coming to the end of the time limit?

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Seems to me that there was another thread along this topic back around December. It seems that a lot of studios use these self-desctructing DVDs in order to distribute them to the film crew for initial reviews for final editing.

11. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

That is what I was thinking. Also, if this can be applied to audio CDs, it could be nice for people to distribute demo CDs and only have to worry about someone copying the disc for 2 days. But still, I don't think its gonna fly, like someone else said, the old Divx flopped big time.

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

that is a horrible idea, we waste too much as it is and on a business level it will probably succeed as well as divx did. Disney is an evil company and this is just one more reason to boycott it.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree that it IS very very very wasteful. Now if you could make these discs RWs then that would be very very cool. Speaking of saving wasted media. I got a program called 'MissingMediaBurner' the other day that lets you burn on the remaining area of burn once cds. That means all that blank space on all those wasted AOL cds can be used by Mac users now.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this sort of thing has been around for a long time-- they were even working on video cassetts that only worked for a period of time. Blockbuster would never need a return box. but it's never flown, i doubt it will with DVD being a mid-life format...

pnw

15. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Couldn't you just use Disc Copy and copy the DVD to your hard drive in the first 24 hours?

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not only is this a wasteful idea, but I don't think it could ever work on a wide scale. I mean, if movie rental places tried to use them it would be impossible to keep up inventory. You'd have to recieve hundreds, maybe even a thousand for high volume stores, of new discs each day to replace the ones that were rented. It would also hurt sales because many customers rent movies when they come to drop off their current rentals.

Wow... I'm sure someone some where thought this was a really good idea when they thought of it...

Lethal

17. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Blockbuster would certainly never switch to this. They make all of their money off of late fees. :( (Remember the class action suit against them for this?) I know too well. :( I am doing my own boycott of blockbuster. Here is my experiance:

3 movies 2 days late $20 late fee

3 movies 1 week late at another video store $8 late fee!

So I refuse to go to blockbuster anymore. (Cuz I always return the stuff late so I have to think of these things. :D)

18. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

too much disposable stuff, we live in a disposable world (and i'm a disposable girl). Seriously though - it makes me sick just seeing how much stuff is designed to be used and then thrown away.</rant>

Sorry about that - i would've continued to get angry if i hadn't.