Sell Air now for iMac, or wait till haswell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2Turbo, May 16, 2013.

  1. macrumors 6502


    Feb 18, 2011
    Should I sell my mid-2012 Air and get the current iMac? Or should I wait to sell until iMac haswell update?

    I don't *need* the iMac right now, but will waiting till haswell devalue the Air much more?

    For me, it seems to all come down to devaluation.

    Thanks for any help!!!!
  2. macrumors 68020


    Aug 13, 2011
    I guess you could wait for Haswell, but you would already get a fairly impressive power upgrade by getting the current iMac when you compare them. With the iMac, you get a minimum 3.0GHz quad core; while the MBA you get a max of 2.0GHz dual core. I would go with the imac now.
  3. macrumors member

    Apr 25, 2013
    I would wait. Any system (even if not updated) will see a depreciation in its resale value as soon as Haswell comes along. The iMac which will have a higher base value will see a larger hit than a MBAir. I noticed that in my area the value of MBAirs only lost approximately 100 after the 2012 models came out. (~700-800 for 2011 MBA, and ~800-950 for a 2012 after they came out and have remained constant for the last year).

    If you want to be really savvy you could try to time selling your MBAir the week before the their June Conference, and hope they release the models within a week of a conference like last year.

    My only real big comment though would be that iMacs and MBAirs are entirely different machines and serve different niches, as well as have considerably different prices (which will have more of a impact on your budget).

    Best wishes MAC huntings. :)

Share This Page