Sell Dual 2.0 PowerMac and get mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by believo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. believo macrumors regular

May 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm a graphic designer and I bought a Dual 2.0 PowerMac Rev. B about 6 months ago; however, with the recent intel announcements and the fact that I don't neccessarily need all the powermac speed, I'm considering selling my PowerMac and getting a mini. Is this a good idea or bad idea? How much do you think I could get for it?

Here's my specs:

PowerMac Dual 2.0 (Rev. B)
    1.5 GB RAM (8 slots total, 4 slots filled)
    160 GB Hard Drive
    8X SuperDrive
    GeForce FX 5200
    Everything is pretty standard
  2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    If you utilise the power and storage space of the powermac then stick with it. Otherwise cash in and buy a Mini as there is no point having a machine that powerful if it isnt being used to its potential.

So basically if the Mini will do the job go ahead and downgrade.

ShadOW :p
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I disagree. The Power Mac is much more future-proof so it is much more likely to be able to carry you effortlessly through until the Intel macs come out. Unless you really need money at the moment, I'd say stick with what you've got. :)
  4. hhlee macrumors 6502

May 19, 2005
    I've been thinking hard about trading in my dual 2 for a mini since I am in a similar situation. Aside from having to move (and its such a beast to move) I think I'm going to stick with it. It is a darn speedy machine and it will last a lot longer than the mini. However, if you want to be the first to switch to the Intel based macs and you don't mind sacrificing the time for the next two years of the mini's slower performance...then go ahead.
  5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    Bad idea. For Graphic Design you have the right box.
  6. believo thread starter macrumors regular

May 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah the future-proof thing is why i bought the powermac in the first place. So I didn't have to worry about getting a new computer until at least 5 years down the road.. but now with the Intel thing, it kind of eliminates the whole future-proof advantage (or at least screws up resell value). So my thinking is, I should get out now and get a lowerend machine, so I'll at least not lose a ton of money in the long run. Anyone have any ideas on how much I could sell my Rev B. PowerMac for (Specs above)?
  7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Apple said they will support PowerPC still, since they will be selling it in 2006 also, WITH the Macintels - they said by 2008 the transition will be complete. So, you are definitely safe for 3 years. After that, since they will still be selling it in 2006 and the PMs last a LONG time, Apple will support PowerPCs at LEAST until 2010.
  8. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    How is it a beast to move? It's no bigger than your file cabinet or much other things. Just stick in the back of your car or something. Just trying to stick up for the PM. :)
  9. PCM macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2005
    the most economical way to handle this situation would be to drive the 2.0 into the ground. You will take a hit no matter what you do, so i would keep it. I just bought a dual 2.5 and I am planning to run it for 3 years until the new intel powerbooks are quite fast, then to retire it to desktop duty (music only machine or server etc.).
  10. believo thread starter macrumors regular

May 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    That might be what I end up doing because when i max out the mini to 1gb RAM, external Hard Drive and all that, it's over a $1,000 anyway and i'm guessing i would get like $1800 or so out of my PowerMac. Maybe I'll end up keeping it.
  11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Nobody should look to get a good resale on a 5 year old machine; that's why you write it off over 3 - 5 years (if you are a business)

Your PowerMac will run OSX 10.4 (and probably 10.5) and the applications you have now basically, forever. The Intel thing doesnt change that a bit. The only time a machine is obsoleted is if you choose to install a future program that is specific to an as-yet unrealeased OS or hardware platform.

But that is true today, if you decided to run AutoCAD -- you would have to get a Windows machine.

You have the appropriate machine for your software suite.
  12. camomac macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Left Coast
    YEP and that equals 5 years to me, which is when i planned on upgrading anyways.
  13. Willy S macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    If Mini gets an upgrade now (mainly better graphics card), it will be the far best value for the money of Macs' linup IMO.
  14. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    The thought of getting rid of a Power Mac brings a tear to my eye.
  15. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    The mini will not meet your demands (graphic designer)
    And will DEFINITELY not meet them in 1-2 years' time.
    The PM however, will.
    It's a no-brainer.