Sell Dual G4 for iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wano, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    I am currently running a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 with 1.25gb ram. 280gb hard drive space, combo and superdrive, hooked up to a 20" apple cinema display. I will be moving overseas in a few months and I am guessing this will cost a bit to take with me.

Do you think a 1.8 G5 iMac will outperform this machine? The fact that it's all in one and weighs a lot less than my G4 is very appealing since it will be easy to take with me. The one thing I like about my powermac is that I have personalized it with upgrades on my own and it feels unique.

Or option 2, should I sell my G4 and my current 12" Powerbook rev. c, keep my display, and get a dual 2ghz G5 tower? I would like the extra power of this since I do a lot of video editing and effects...but it would be hard to give up my powerbook since i take it everywhere i go.

Also, how much do you think I could get for my powermac?

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004
    Me too

I am also planning on going overseas, and I have a very similar setup.
    Dual 1.25 FW800 stock 80GB
    1 GB RAM
    Airport Extreme
    Pioneer 105 DVD drive
    20in Cinema Display

I am also curious what these are worth on the real market.

I am guessing 1000-1200 on the G4
    And 600-700 on the 20in Display??

I don't consider the future trolls offer of 500 for the cpu and 500 for the display realistic ;)

3. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2004
    Perth, WA, Australia
    i believe that dual G4's kick a single 1.6 / 1.8 G5 even a dual G5 1.8 i believe is a close match - barefeats have tested/benchmarked them, checkout their site.

Going for the iMac is size, all in one etc, just remember its not as upgradable internally - extra hard drives have to be external and this can be a pain.
  4. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    I would keep the dual g4 simply because it is faster. But if you prize space and quiet, then the iMac g5 would be the better choice.
  5. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    One thing to note is that if you'd be buying an imac G5 in the USA that it will not work anywhere with a 240V AC supply as the power supplies fitted to US imacs are not switching supplies. The supplies fitted to European etc imacs apparently are switching supplies and can therefore work at both 120 and 240V.
  6. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004

I don't know how you guys are reading benchmarks, but barefeats shows that the iMac G5 1.8 was faster than a G4 Dual 1.42 in all tests (appleworks, imovie, itunes, filemaker) except in photoshop where they was pretty close and Motion. The reason why the Dual 1.42GHz was faster in Motion was because it was equipped with a Radeon 9700!!!

So a iMac G5 1.8GHz is faster than a G4 Dual 1.25Ghz especially if the G4 is equipped with the Radeon 9000 card.

In most tasks the iMac G5 will be MUCH faster than a Dual 1.25GHz powermac.
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Not much extra bang for the buck, the Cpu side at apple have been frozen for a long time on the G4 & G5. I would try to hang in for 2.0 or better in a single cpu machine. A new 1.8 is going to be slightly faster not much and not worth the cost of a new machine in my view. I would get the next rev with a 2.0 and the next videochip whatever that may be. Also Tiger. You have a solid machine in Apples world and is very close in performance and will do better in multitasking. Fx5200 drags down the performance of that G5.
  8. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    remember if you are moving from america you can sell your gear for allot more if you are moving to say the uk or any other European county, and if your bearing the expense of moving the gear the cost of selling and upgrading for such a small gain in speed you may as well ship it over.