Sell iBook for IBM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eluon, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Eluon macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Before the gasps and screams come out, I would like to ask some opinions. I have owned a 12 inch iBook G4 for about a year and a half now. I also own a brand new iMac G5 - which has a 17 inch screen. My iBook functions perfectly, but the screen has always been a problem to me. It is difficult for me to stay focused on because of its size. I have to turn Microsoft Word on 150% zoom to read stuff in class. I love its portability and how faithful it has been to me.

However, one of my friends wants to buy my iBook from me for about $650. It made me think about what I could use a new laptop for - and if I could find one cheaper. I want a bigger screen, and I simply cannot afford a powerbook.

I got onto IBM's web site and noticed they had a nice set up for a ThinkPad R50e:

Pentium M 1.6Ghz 2mb L2 Cache - 400mhz FSB
    Windows XP
    15.0 XGA Display
    768 MB RAM PC 2700
    40 Gig
    Wireless Card

all for 850.

I am not opposed to owning a Windows machine, but I love Mac as well. I am looking for something durable and with a bigger screen. What should I do? Sell and buy the IBM or what?
  2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    There is always the 14" iBook but it will set you back $1200 EDU so that may be out of your range. If you are looking for a larger screen, other than the powerbook, you don't have much of an option I guess. The Thankpads are great machines if you do go windows and you do have a G5 so I would not think you are that crazy... but I am one of the few members here who does not absolutely HATE windows but I do prefer mac any day of the week :D
  3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    No gasps. You will still have to increase the view% unless the resolution of the new screen is less, i.e. bigger pixels. Also remember that some licences (like MS Office)will have to be repurchased. You might think about trading up.

I am a Mac lover, and OSX is so nice. I admin 2k,XP, and Java based computers. Match the computer to the person and the tasks needed. I would hate to go back to a PC laptop for everyday work, especially for school. I do have the benefit of owning a 12"PB though. Mac's arn't for everybody and neither are PCs.

Best of skill and luck in school.
  4. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    An awesome place
    Don't be fooled by the screen size.

The screen resolution on them 15" Thinkpads is 1024x768. Same as the 14" iBook. You'll have the same problem.
  5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    Put the drugs down, and check into rehab A.S.A.P.....
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Do yourself a favor; stick with your iBook (or get a new 'Book) just don't buy a PeeCee- its a decision that you will probably regret later. :)
  7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I think this is what the OP wants. He said the 12" screen was a strain on his eyes. A laptop with a 14" or 15" display at 1024x768 sound like just what he needs.
  8. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As much as people here will tell you you're insane, don't listen. I prefer the Mac experience, but the thinkpads are incredible computers. They're built as well, if not better, than the Mac laptops, in my opinion, and we've never had issues with customer service or anything.

I'd think twice about trading the PB, but if you were going to trade for a PC, thinkpad is the way to go.

9. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

Sep 5, 2005
    Just think of the poor resale value of a PC notebook.
  10. switchr92 macrumors member

Aug 2, 2005
    go for it

I am also one of the few here who doesn't HATE windows, i think its a very useable OS w/ a few addvantages over OS X (compatibility foremost)(OS X is still way better), and thinkpads are the best PC notebooks (sony has better style, but less quality), so yeah, as long as u have the G5, go for it. In fact best of both worlds (compatibility of windoz, and OS X (speaks for itself)). Enjoy!
  11. 40167 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    He wants to read text easyer, he doesnt want more resolution with a larger screen. So text on a 15inch 1024x768 display would be easyer to read without having to set enlargements. Thinkpads generaly do 1024x768 as factory default but you can get a higher resolution screen put in if thats what you want; my T23 goes to 1400x1050 (native) on the internal lcd.

Personaly for me though, it wouldn't ultimately matter if it was a pc or a mac, both can get the job done and if im tired of windows (or osx even sometimes) I can just boot up freebsd and do whatever I need. My main thing was price and durability; well the thinkpad was cheaper and i've droped this thing more than enough times having it survive without breaking. I've seen a guy drop a powerbook only to pick it up and almost cry since it was pretty badly dented; that kinda made me stay away from them.

So its up to you, but do remember... Your on a mac forum; most people are going to tell you to use a mac here. Though then again, if you go to a pc forum; most people would tell you get the pc.