Sell iMac 400 DVSE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Coca-Cola, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I have two macs that I use daily. A powerbook and an iMac 400DVSE. I am very tempted to sell the iMac. It is a good machine and all up to date with Panther and 640 mbs of ram. I have spent a ton on it over the years. I REALLY REALLY want a new G5 iMac. However I am in debt. I want to pay off my car and credit cards within three years so I can someday buy a home. So putting more on the credit cards seems like a bad idea. But I REALLY REALLY want a iMac G5. I have about 1000 dollars in apple stock I could sell. However I think my wife would be upset. Hmmm. What should I do? I owe about 2000 dollars on the credit cards.

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

If your powerbook and imac 400 dvse are working fine for what you need them for then I would put off buying the imac g5. You credit card debt will keep growing until you pay it off. Save up enough money to buy the home as real estate prices have not really declined and I doubt that they ever will to much. Since you are in debt you need to create more assets than liabilities. Assets feed you, liabilities starve you. Unless you need an iMac g5 for your job then I would put it off.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Forget the iMac. Pay off your credit card debt, and buy a home in a few years. A home is WAY better than an iMac, hands down.

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

i dont want to tempt you into further debt, but if you decide to sell the iMac, i might be interested in buying

5. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone,

I have snapped back to my senses. I will pay off those credit cards, then the car, save for a home, and then save up for a G8. That makes since. Thanks. These two macs work just fine for us.

6. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Good for you, man. Smart thinking. I think we all want new Macs all the time, but most of use realize, right when you are entering those credit card digits, that what you have right now is just fine. I hate the feeling but I wish I had enough money to expierience it more often.

Good luck!