Sell iPad 2, buy Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by db123, Dec 25, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I am really thinking to buy the galaxy tab 7.7 after selling my iPad 2 although I loved it pretty much! In favour of Tab:

- small & lightweight
    - Super AMOLED Plus screen
    - higher resolution
    - higher specification
    - HSPA+
    - play flash content (I don't know if Flash is dying but it's really annoying when I can't access some sites and can't play some tv channels through IPTV)

What is pulling me out from buying the tab is that I read in some forums that android is not matured enough, sluggish browser and unexpected hangs. Is that true? How good is icecream sandwich than the previous honeycomb wrt iOS 5?

2. macrumors 6502

Im not really pro about android and such, but my experience with samsung nexus s is not as good with ios. For some reason iOS has somewhat more user friendly and more flexible, plus the android has some noticable lag when viewing and flipping pages. The software is the core of everything in tablet computer imo. I am a proud and happy user of ios since it launched in 2007, trying samsung nexus s around 4 months ago was a wrong decision. I switched back to iphone 4s and ipad 2 not long ago.

Its just my personal experience though.

3. macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I think you should go out and get the 7.7.

People tend to learn best from first hand experience. Does it really matter what is said on a forum, especially one slanted towards Apple?

5. macrumors 6502a

Do you know anyone that has one, who would let you check it out to see if you like it? Otherwise go to a store where you can spend a little time with it. See if it will fulfill your needs. Also look into what apps would replace the ones you use on the iPad.

6. macrumors 6502

I really wanted to get a galaxy tab recently and it's great for all the customization out of the box but the UI lag really killed it for me. Even simple things like swiping from home screen to home screen was painfully laggy. Also rotation was hit and miss.

So from pure smoothness I'm going to stick to my iPad. But would be good to see if ICS improves the UI responsiveness as I heard it's supposed too.

7. macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Just so that you know, ICS is not available yet on the Galaxy Tab, and rumor has it that it will not be available for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 due to Ram and CPU requirements to run both ICS and TouchWiz.

That's really my biggest problem with Android. They are currently selling phones and tablets with 4 different versions of Android at the same time, and there is never a way to tell if your device will *ever* be updated to the next flavor of Android.

I'm also not a fan of the custom skins (TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Sense) that the OEM's are layering on top of android, and I haven't found many reviews that favor these skins over stock android, save for a few that don't mind Sense on HTC devices.

8. macrumors 68040

agreed. i have a froyo phone here. what an annoying situation. ios5 on all of my istuff. i remain android curious, but i don't want to get involved in that mess.

9. macrumors 6502

rm2092

I had both Galaxy Tab's and in the end the iPad is the better one, you will be back.

10. macrumors 601

Not sure why everybody asks these questions..

1) not everybody has the same experience or expectations of devices. One mans treasure is another's trash and all that... Try them both out yourself and decide.

2) this is an apple oriented website, it's fairly obvious the direction a lot of the replies will go.

11. macrumors regular

jekyl

My sister brought her new Andoid based cellphone and wanted help setting up facebook etc. on it. I am "into" tech and generally enjoy this kind of thing but if this experience is representative to android I have to say I don't like it. Using that phone was incredibly awkward and it seemed to fight against anything I wanted it to do. My iPod Touch on the other hand just seems to work by itself, and I never really need to think about how to get it to do my bidding.

12. macrumors 601

Android doesn't fight against you, it just offers choices instead of making assumptions. It's therefore very likely that you've misconfigured it if it doesn't work how you expect it to.

13. macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I've tried to help coworkers with their Android phones and it just seems that everything takes more thought and effort to accomplish than my iPhone.

14. macrumors 6502a

That pretty much sums it up- if you want to have to worry about making sure something is configured correctly before it will work, instead of just working, go with android.

15. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Yes, get the TAB, then come back in two months and tell us what you think about it.

Just beware: It may be like sticking your finger into an electrical outlet just to experience how it feels.

----------

Android may be like clay that never hardens, so whatever you mold with it will eventually collapse.

16. macrumors 601

I'm not sure that's the best way to sum it up. Android works fine out of the box, it just might not work the way you want it to. Android is highly configurable and you can change lots of small options, so yes, you may need to configure those to get android to work how you want it to.

17. macrumors member

Everything said in the last part = true.

I came back from an android tablet, a Transformer (original). Now I have an iPad2. IMO android tablets got boring fast. Unless 80% of the things you do is just tweaking it, or whatever, then it wasn't the experience I was looking for.... since I play and enjoy making music iPad actually should have just been my first choice!! It was hard keeping up with making my tablet run "smoother" too... :(

ICS isn't as big as a deal to me. Just too much hype. Some things like "transition effects" are just........enabled through some go launcher! But the UI (among a few things)looks nice I guess! Anyway vs Honeycomb.. on a Tab won't matter too much because (correct me if I'm wrong!) the overlay on a GT wont change when an ICS update is applied...... That and also some Samsung devices will never be getting ICS btw! They are looking forward to CES! Yeah and whatever else hardware not able to support blah blah blah

18. macrumors 68000

I had the 10.1 galaxy tab after selling my iPad. It was horrible, honeycomb sucks really badly, the apps are not nearly as plentiful or refined, I quickly sold it an am considering buying another iPad 2 if I can find a good deal (and if not wait for iPad 3)

19. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you all for your advice. Now I agree it will be a bad decision if buy android tab after selling iPad 2.

20. macrumors newbie

That is true, iPad run way smoother than android-based tablets. But android gives users more flexibility and more ways for developers to make great software. Put that in mind. Also with every android update you will get smoother user experience, more high quality apps. I'm sure S will launch ICS on galaxy series (S2, tab 10.1, 8.9 and 7.7)

I'm just saying that android just do the work, and 7.7 is way more handy than bigger iPad

21. macrumors newbie

....Lol

22. macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Funny that Android gives developers more ways to make great software, but their app store (for tablets) sucks compared to iOS, and many apps have scaling problems with these tablets.

Also, at this time there is no reason to believe that samsung will port ICS to older devices. Most of the devices they release run TouchWiz and devices like the Galaxy Tab 7.7 do not have enough RAM or ROM to both TouchWiz and ICS. And there's your most crucial flaw with android. Sure each update might get a better user experience, but how do you know your device will ever even get ONE update?

23. macrumors 6502

Guys, the grass is always greener on the other side. Doesn't everyone know that? :D

24. macrumors G3

I say give it a shot. If you don't like it as much you can always return the thing.

On an aside, I think Samsung's naming convention is idiotic. What is a more memorable name, Galaxy Tab 7.7 or Galaxy Tab 7? Same goes for their 10.1, they should have just called it the Galaxy Tab 10.

25. macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

Of course....until you realize it's because there's a leaking septic tank just under the surface....