Sell iPod or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Maverick, May 2, 2004.

1. Maverick macrumors member

Well, here's the deal. I want a new iPod. I have a 3rd gen 10 GB, but it's nearly full and I still have 40 or so more CDs I want to add to it. With the recent rumors of a 4th gen iPod coming out soon, I'm being very tempted to put my current one up for grabs on eBay.

Actually, I guess I'm making this more difficult than it really is. I need a new iPod either way. But what are the chances of seeing the 4th gens in the next month or so? I don't want to be iPodless for very long, as I bring the thing almost everywhere. If 4th gens aren't coming out anytime soon, I might just grab a refurb 40 gig from the Apple Store.

2. tomatobush macrumors newbie

I would sell the 10GB and buy the refurbished 40 GB. I doubt the 4th generation ipod will come out for a while.

3. denm316 macrumors 6502

I agree, I would probably just sell it and buy a refurb 40GB

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It also depends on what you want.
    If any of the rumors are true- it looks as if the next gen of iPods may play videos... if that's something you want- then wait.

I know for myself- I've been overjoyed with my 3rd Gen 20G and couldn't imagine going without it for any amount of time (it gets used every day)... and for what I use it for, any new features would be lost on me. I just needed a "walkman" and this fits the bill perfectly. Anything more then that would just get wasted on me- that's what phones and laptops are for... iPod is for music :)

5. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Actually, the rumor mills are pretty much universally reading Steve Jobs' remarks about toast-making iPods during the iTunes conference call to mean that video iPods are a no-go. Jobs seems to feel that music is a "background" activity suited to portability, while video is a "foreground" activity that isn't.

With that said, some speculate that the next iPod revision will add a mini-style Click Wheel to the full-size iPod, along with bigger capacity. But that may be it.

If that sounds like something to look forward to, then you can try to stretch your iPod's capacity by setting it to only update selected playlists instead of carrying your whole library (I've got a 10 gigger and have had to start doing that already). Otherwise--heck, go for the 40 GB.

6. Maverick thread starter macrumors member

The refurb 40 GB sounds good...heck, I'd go for a refurb 30 as well. I wish they'd slim them down a bit though.

Either way, it looks like I'll be selling my iPod, so thanks for the advice.