Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hi. I live in a very low speed broadband area ( less than 1MB down ) and really have never understand the Apple TV, as far as i can tell it's a small apple computer with a link to the apple store to download movies? Not really good for me and my low speed is it?

What else can it do? I have an iPad and iPhone 4S, so apart from Airplay'ing them to my TV ( rather pointless ) i don't see the attraction.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
if you don't already understand what it does, that would suggest to me that you don't need one.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi. I live in a very low speed broadband area ( less than 1MB down ) and really have never understand the Apple TV, as far as i can tell it's a small apple computer with a link to the apple store to download movies? Not really good for me and my low speed is it?

What else can it do? I have an iPad and iPhone 4S, so apart from Airplay'ing them to my TV ( rather pointless ) i don't see the attraction.

I believe this page does a great job illustrating what the Apple TV is and what it does.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/what-is/

And this on what you can get on the stock apple TV

http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
If you have a rather large number of videos in your iTunes library, the Apple TV will allow you to see those on your TV instantly, without having to dedicate your iPad or iPhone to Airplay it. This is very, VERY handy for those who hate to swap DVDs in and out of a player-- and a godsend for parents with fussy children who get bored with a movie and want to watch a different one right now. (Forum rules prevent me from giving details on how to get your DVDs into your library for playing on the Apple TV, but you can always search around on these forums for hints.)

True, the iTunes rental and NetFlix functions won't be of much use considering your limited bandwidth, and YouTube viewing may be rather spotty. However, the Internet radio and Flickr streaming would be doable. Along that line, streaming your photos from your computer onto the screen, while music from your library plays in the background, is not bandwidth-dependent at all and is great for family get-togethers.

You may want to get one from the Apple refurb store, if cost is a hindrance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.