Sell my 12" and buy a Mini until Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iamhammill, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. iamhammill macrumors 6502

    iamhammill

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Location:
    York, PA
    #1
    I just cannot figure out what to do. I love my 12" Powerbook, but when the Macbook comes I'll def be upgrading. I don't want to loose all my value on this once the Macbook comes out.

    Seems I can get $1150 for this right now. If the Macbooks release anywhere from $1000-13000, I'd probably be lucky to get $950 ish for mine.

    Anyone in the similar situation? I think I could get a mini for around $400, and probably sell it before the Macbooks come out for around the same price. I also already have an extra monitor, keyboard, and mouse.


    Any help is appreciated.
     
  2. Subiklim macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan, New York
    #2
    I sold my 12" powerbook a few weeks ago and got the iMac. I miss it like hell (though the iMac is an incredible computer).

    I sold it early because I didn't want to take a price hit when the new macbooks came out. I will absolutly be picking up a new macbook (though not right away, probably when 10.5 comes out).
     
  3. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #3
    if you can live without a laptop, then it might be a good idea. just depends if you can wait
     
  4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

    ®îçhå®?

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #4
    It depends on your needs. If you use your powerbook for your job and need the portability, $75 does not seem too bad.Baring in mind if you buy a mac mini and open it, the value will depreciate by a lot as well. I personally do not think that it is worth the hassle.
     
  5. iamhammill thread starter macrumors 6502

    iamhammill

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Location:
    York, PA
    #5
    The only place I take my Powerbook is to my "studio" (more like my friends basement) to record. Now and then I'll take it up and lay on the couch or whatever, but I think I could get by without that for a month or so. Also I suppose I could take the Mini to his house and plug into his TV or something.

    Anyways, I would only buy a used Mini, so I can't imagine the value going down too much. Too bad I didn't think of this last night, a LOADED Mini with Final Cut and something else went BIN $300!


    Guess I'll just live on ebay over the next few days and see if I can find a steal.
     
  6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #6
    eh I wouldn't bother, I'd stick with what you have and upgrade when you need to. Just seems to me selling & buying a temporary computer is a lot of work considering we may see the MB's in the next few weeks.
     
  7. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #7
    that is true. also, no one really knows when the macbooks will be coming. it could be a month, or it could be 2-3 months.
     
  8. iamhammill thread starter macrumors 6502

    iamhammill

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2006
    Location:
    York, PA
    #8
    That's true. I could deal without a laptop for a month, but 2-3 is a little too much. I suppose there will always be someone out there that want's a Powerbook.
     
  9. California macrumors 68040

    California

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    #9
    Since it looks like Apple will never be making 12" books -- ibooks or powerbooks -- ever again, I'm holding on to my 12" pb. Small, maybe heavier than the new books, but as for size and portability, Apple will never make 'em smaller.
     
  10. Miles Davis macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    #10

    Well, actually, the new books could be thinner and certainly lighter. I'm in a pickle myself right now, I'm returning my MBP and would really like a smaller machine. Loved my iBook (hated that crappy dim display though) but not sure if I want a refurb 12PB or wait for the 13 MB... Trouble is, I'm in school and need a computer now!
     
  11. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    #11
    If you like what you have now, I say just hold onto it for the time being. It's not worth the hassle to sell it, buy another computer, then sell that, and then buy a new laptop, even if you lose a few bucks. Keep in mind that according to various rumor sites, the new Macbooks were *guaranteed* to come out April 1st....and then *guaranteed* to come out the Tuesday after April 1st...and then *guaranteed* to come out any Tuesday now...and now are *guaranteed* to come out within a month.

    The truth is that no one knows exactly what Apple will bring out or when. For all we know, the new Macbooks could use integrated graphics, and you might not like that and decide to save up a little more money for a Pro laptop.
     
  12. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #12
    I sold my iBook a week ago for 1060$(Bought it for 1150$ tax paid 4 mths ago. Now retails for 1270$ due to temporary short supply in India). So I lost only 10% for 4 months of use. But now I m regretting my decision as I have to use my old Compaq. Really miss OSX. I visit this site atleast 5-6 times a day to see if there`s any hint of the new MacBook. Why the hell did I sell my iBook. Why. I m feeling mad as hell.

    But this was bound to happen. If I hadn`t sold it then I wud be regrettting that too wenever MB arrives. And feel bad as long as I didnt get one. Means I am not happy in both conditions. So it`s better to regret for a couple of months and stay satisfied for the next couple of years than regret and curse myself for the next couple of years.

    My advice to iamhammill wud be to sell it ASAP. You night not get even 800$ for ur PB once MB is here. And even if you dont like MB for any reason and decide for MBP you still wont get good value for your PB. Coz by then all the Macs wud be upgraded to intel and G4 wud be absolutely obsolete.You wont really find many takers.

    As far as mini is concerned, I dont really like the idea. But I m sure you wont lose too much money. Try ur luck with ebay. But first Backup ur data on PB. And sell it ASAP. Dont even wait for the mini. Sell first. Then buy. MB are rumored to be here in may but could be delayed to june at most. You never know. But still I think(actually hope) we`ll see them before june.
     
  13. student_trap macrumors 68000

    student_trap

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    #13
    keep your powerbook, you won't have all the hastle that buying and selling various computers would cause, and you might be bitterly dissapointed with the new macbook...doubt it but you might be. I was thinking about buying another 12in/13in laptop sometime this fall, but with integrated graphics and an 'ibook' style shell (as opposed to a sleek macbook pro style), i'm coming round to the idea of going for the next (official) revision of 15in macbook pro's, probably the merom ones...dam apple and their upsell tactics!:rolleyes:
     

Share This Page