Sell my PM G4 and get a min

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wnameth, Feb 15, 2005.

1. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I am seriously considering selling my PM G4 600mhz and getting a mac mini. some of my reasons:

-mac mini has a 9200 graphics card retails for around 120US for my PM.
    -mac mini has trice the G4 that i have
    -I could sell the HD in it as a laptop HD and get an external case for 20$ and put a nice big 120 or 160 in it as my main.
    -I have the ability of using DVI, which i don't now.

Also, if anyone wants my powermac G4 for around 500 its gone, or if anyone has a mini they don't like or want, because of its expandability issues, then maybe we can work something out. The last reason is I have a somewhat deal for a 18" LCD, and its a good price, so with the mini i think that would be fantastic.

post any offers/advice

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

It is not a good idea to remove the internal HD and boot from a FW drive as a permantent solution.

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

My mini arrived on Friday and my advice would be to wait a couple of weeks before making your decision.

Here's why: the first two days I owned my mini things were great. But as I started to explore more programs things started to occur that have me a little worried. The first was iDVD crashing; next was an application in Classic that constantly crashed (this turned out to be minor); next was the printer disappeared (reboot solves this); next I discovered that I can not burn discs using the internal burner from data stored on the external HD; finally Photoshop crashed when I tried to scan.

The one thing all these things have in common is this: they involve USB or FW externals. Each could be solved by either relaunching the program or rebooting the computer -- but this solution does not prevent future crashes.

Judging by some comments in the Apple support discussion area, my mini problems are not unique. For people who don't work with large files on external drives this won't be an issue, but for everyone else . . .

I'd wait a week or two and see if we start hearing more about this issue, whether it goes away, or whether Apple has a fix.

4. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

thanks, the one question is, if i have a d-link router, and a wireless card in my PM, how do i get it to work with my mac mini, do I have to buy a base station and airport card?

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I 2nd the idea of not using a firewire drive as a boot volume. I don't know about anyone else booting off a FW drive but I haven't had much luck. I have 10.4 installed on a firewire drive and it runs HORRIBLY slow.

Does anyone know whether the system will freak if there isn't an internal HD and only a FW one to boot from? I've never tried that before.

6. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

someone please answer my Q about the d-link and wireless card :D

7. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

The IEEE, the people who like to name things with numbers, have it all straigntened out for you. 802.11b or 802.11g is a standard, just as 802.3 is for wired networks. Standards are upheld by all of the industry. That means Apple Airport cards play fine connecting to D-Link, Belkin or Westell (I do the last two with my Mini at home) and Dell Mini-PCI cards connect to Apple Airport base stations (as I do at school). There will only be minor differences, perhaps with WDS (combining multiple base stations) and some WEP/WPA formating.

8. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

Ok, i have a D-link 514 i think, so what do i need to get for the mac mini for it to work on the network wirelessly?

9. slu macrumors 68000

slu

An Airport Extreme Card!

10. chv400 macrumors 6502

i think the extreme will work with any router that is comaptible with the 802 something b standard. all wireless cards are pretty muc hthe same they just have different brands.

11. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

But the mini doesn't have PCI slots, so how do i put in an airport extreme card or my wireless card that i have now in it?

12. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Putting in an airport card is a snap -- I wouldn't worry about that. You can find illustrations on the net. The card is internal. Your airport extreme card will work with any commercial brand wireless router.

I have a Netgear router so I ordered my mini with the airport & Bluetooth option -- both are working well.

13. wnameth thread starter macrumors 65816

wnameth

So i take it the mac-mini doesn't have PCI slots?