Sell my Powerbook now or after Leopard release?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by northernmunky, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    northernmunky

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Location:
    London, Taipei
    #1
    Hi
    I wonder if I can get you guys opinion on this, I still have my Powerbook G4 1.7, 1Gb Ram, 100Gb HDD and want to sell it for a Macbook Pro when Leopard is released.

    My question is, in your opinion do you think I should sell it now and suffer the minimum depreciation of my laptop or sell it after Leopard release because the substantial increase in Mac interest and new switchers may guarantee a higher selling price even for an older laptop?

    Any opinions on this?

    Thanks all
     
  2. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #2
    I seriously doubt that the release of Leopard will increase the demand for Powerbooks, though it may slightly increase the demand for new Macs.

    My strong suggestion is that if you can do without your Powerbook, you will maximize your selling price the sooner you sell it.
     
  3. macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #3
    I don't think that it will go down in price much between now and when Leopard comes out, and won't lose any more money by waiting than if you had to buy Leopard separately, so right now i would say to wait.
     
  4. macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #4
    I say do it now. Once Leopard is released Apple will also be releasing new Macs that will be able to FULLY take advantage of the new OS. This will likely reduce interest in older Macs.
     
  5. macrumors 68000

    Veritas&Equitas

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Location:
    Twin Cities, MN
    #5
    I agree...selling it now will get you the most money. The value will drop with Leopard b/c they'll probably release new hardware at the same time...no doubt, it's just a matter of how much...
     
  6. macrumors 6502a

    shu82

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Rocket City, AL
    #6
    Since your powerbook can pass as a MBP right now to the untrained eye, it would be best to get rid of it before the new designs come out and even a child could tell its not the same as the brand new model.
     
  7. macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #7
    i would sell as soon as i can. every time new models come out, it will only drive down the price you can get for your powerbook. also, i think the likely purchaser will be a mac user, not a potential switcher. the sooner you sell, the better.
     

Share This Page