sell now or wait for intel powerbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by excalibur313, Sep 17, 2005.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I was looking on ebay to see how much my 1.25ghz, aluminum, 15", 1.25gig powerbook would go for. It has applecare for another year and all the original cables, documentation etc (and a brand new higher capacity battery they use in the current pbs). It seems like I could get around $1400 because that seems the average but I see some go for as much as $2k. Why would a rev. a powerbook go for more than newer ones? I'd be selling this to buy a intel powerbook when they come out in january. Would it be to my advantage to sell it now when the best they have is only slightly better than mine or wait until the intels come out in which point the pbs might keep their value since you cannot get them anymore (kind of like how the fastest powermacs that can natively boot os 9 go for a lot more than you'd think). What do you guys think I should do?
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Intels in January? Don't think so. I have a feeling the first Intels will be around WWDC in June, and Apple's already stated the Power line will be the last to get updated.

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Oh definitely not. The motherboards started to be manufactured this month. Rumors on macrumors also pointed also to a beginning of the year release. Steve even said that by "this time next year" (being june) they would have some models out already.

EDIT: I'm talking about the powerbook line....i was using the powermac as an example. Sorry for the mix up.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

I doubt it will come out that soon in January.. seeing as to how they are still making major changes to MacOS at this stage.

But knowing Apple, for the sake of marketing (as always) they might ship out a beta retail product.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Steve also stated that the PowerMacs and PowerBooks would be the last to be updated.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

I really look forward to those MacIntel Minis...

7. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/08/20050823140931.shtml

The yonah processors for the powerbooks will be the first to come out. It's been rumored at macrumors and I know someone on the in who also confirmed that the powerbooks will be first. I fully acknowledge that they might run into delays but the plan is the beginning of the year.

EDIT: I agree that minimacs will be pretty soon too because they will use a modified yonah processor.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

When? As of now, it's all speculation. He made a big deal about power consumption, and we all know how much the G4 has sucked for awhile, so I'd guess the PowerBooks would be part of the first batch. PowerMacs will probably wait for the next gen CPU, and for now the G5 is still ok. I can't see an iBook being faster than a PowerBook, and the Pentium M is faster than the top mobile G4.

I'd hold on to it for awhile. See what comes out and when. There will still be a market for it, but yeah, you won't get as much. You will get to use it in the mean time though, so that's a plus.