Sell PB and PM for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boofis, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. boofis macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2006

    I have a 12" PB 1.5 combo and a dual 2.0 G5 Powermac. I'm considering selling both and buying a new Macbook Pro. I bough the PB 6 or so months ago and I find that I use it much more than the Powermac, except when I edit some photos and do a little spreadsheet work. I really push the PB and think I'll benefit more from the power/speed increase I'd see with the new Macbook Pro. I realize I'll have to wait a little longer for universal bianaries of Office and Photoshop, but I only use them on a somewhat infrequent basis...


  2. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If your PB is not giving you any issues other than speed, I would say to keep both machines until the problems are worked out. There have been a very large number of issues reported on the MBP, and the multiple revisions that the MBP has already gone (6 at last count) have still not resolved those problems. I would much rather have a stable machine that is slower than have a fast machine that is full of issues.
  3. The Senator macrumors regular

    The Senator

    Feb 18, 2006
    sell everything get a macbook pro, best computer ever
  4. boofis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2006
  5. khisayruou macrumors 6502a


    Aug 21, 2004
    I agree with danny_w and thats what I am in fact going to do.
  6. PlaidHatter macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2005
    Weigh the positives and negatives

    So you need to decide if the net gains are more than the negatives. You said that you want the speed, but you also said that you use Photoshop and other apps that you will have to run under Rosetta. Running anything under Rosetta is going to be considerably sloewr than your current hardware. What exactly do you think will be faster? Boot up time will be, but that is no reason to go to Intel Macs.

    Also, keep in mind that the Core microarchitecture is going to be released in Q3 (or so) of this year, THAT is when it will really begin to be worth it. You'll get 64bit, SSE4 (not yet fully confirmed), SSE with 128 bit paths, shorter pipelines, true dual core instead of the current 2 processors slapped on 1 packaging, and 4MB of L2 cache. Note that the current processors that are called "Core Solo" or "Core Duo" are only marketing names, and do not contain the core microarchitecture.

    So I'd say wait. In fact, I personally think it's rather a horrible time to go to Intel (both for consumers AND Apple!) until the core microarchitecture is released. The ONLY reason to go to the x86 Macs is if your hardware just flat out dies.
  7. Peyton macrumors 68000


    Feb 2, 2006
    I would, but I like new things. Actually, you're already on a good platform, I'd wait til at least rev B or until leopard comes out and merom.

    yeah, wait.
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I wouldn't, unless you really like the simplicity of having just one computer. You currently have great mobility and power when you need it. Yes, the MBP is both powerful and portable, but unless the powerbook is really choking on what you do AND you use office/PS quite infrequently, I just can't see the MBP being a big improvement.
  9. budugu macrumors 6502

    Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA
    In short yes. Just get the mac book pro (pref ver 2). It atleast is a very good windows computer. Probably photoshop runs faster and much better in windows virtualization than G4 emulation!
  10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

    baby duck monge

    Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    You could always sell the PB, keep the PM, and get a MBP. Then you could have the latest and greatest, as well as a good desktop if you needed to power through anything that hadn't gone universal. Also, the PM will probably hold its value longer since the Intel PowerMacs look further out than the rest of the laptops. That, of course, depends on you being able to afford the new MacBook by only selling one computer which very well may not be possible.
  11. wmmk macrumors 68020


    Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    sell both get the macdesk pro (intel powermac)
  12. spencecb macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2003
    You'd be crazy to sell those two computers just to get a Core Duo MacBook Pro. I love my MacBook Pro, don't get me wrong, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with your setup. And I think you'd find that the MacBook Pro will run slower than your Dual G5. And that is not because of Rosetta, it's because the G5 is still superior.

Share This Page