sell powerbook 1.5 and buy macbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by leewar, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2006
    #1
    Hi all
    Have been a reader of macrumors for a while and been the proud owner of a 15 inch powerbook 1.5ghz with 1gig ram since its release. Have watched the move to intel with interest and wondered whether now would be the right time to make the move?
    Am interested in the macbook for portability reasons, to be honest, wouldn't use the full capability of a pro as use mail, itunes, safari/firefox etc. though I do use aperture and photoshop from time to time. Wondered what everyone's experiences were in terms of speed jump between a 1.5 ghz powerbook and the macbook? Don't worry, won't start a debate on the matte/gloss screen debate!
    Thanks for your help in advance!
     
  2. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    #2
    if you use PS a lot and can wait to upgrade id say stick with your PB for a little longer until PS goes universal.
     
  3. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #3
    I've got the same PB you do and while I would like to upgrade, I haven't had any real reason too. Just remember the longer you wait the better (and cheaper) your new PB will be!
     
  4. macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #4
    well. it sounds like amacbook would fit your needs EXCEPT aperture only runs when the macbook has its ram amaxed at 2 gigs and even than runs slower than the sleeping sloth. I use mine for photoshop alot and it runs but i cant wait for cs3 (universal). Iy you use aperture Alot than you might want to go pro. the macbook otherwise sounds perfect.
     
  5. macrumors 68000

    davidjearly

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #5
    What crass! Aperture 1.5 runs absolutely fine on my MB with 1GB Ram.
    Thats using .NEF raw files and JPEGS.

    The MB would easily suit your needs.

    David
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #6
    i have no used 1.5 on a macbook but something must be alot better. 1 sure went slow on the macbook i used it on, i dont have it on mine, sorry if i am mistaken.
     
  7. macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #7
    well i sold my pb for a macbook, and even though i miss the casing of the pb, as far as performance, this macbook rocks!
     
  8. macrumors 6502a

    Xeem

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #8
    Personally, I'd keep the PB, at least until Photoshop CS3 is released. The Macbook obviously has a better processor (two of them, no less), but the PB's much better GPU will make up for that in some situations anyway. I'd wait until CS3 is out and the Macbook has a Core 2 Duo, and then make the switch.
     
  9. macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #9
    I have the same computer as you, but with 2gig of ram and I am still holding on to mine for the time being....

    I got the upgraded graphics card on mine too...I am planning on waiting until I cannot handle it anymore before I upgrade...:cool:
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    macman2790

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Texas
    #10
    if you have a problem with a glossy screen go for low end mbp
     
  11. macrumors 6502a

    brikeh

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2006
    #11
    Im in the same position but Im gonna hang on to my Powerbook for a little while since I dont like the MacBooks, I´ll prob end up buying a MBP. :rolleyes: Just have to convince the girlfriend :D
     
  12. macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location
    #12
    No, I still agree with fivetoadsloth. :p Well, somewhat. It's faster than before, but really "fast." It just handles it "ok" with 2 GB. You don't need 2 GB to run it, but if you only have 1 GB, Aperture better be the only thing running.

    With 2 GB, it'll fine ok.


    Personally, I'd stick with the PowerBook until the MB gets a 2.33 MHz Yonah/Merom if I were you. You're in no desperate need, and the MacBook isn't that much smaller than the 15" PowerBook.
     
  13. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #13
    Then you probably don't use the full capability of your powerbook. So go ahead and sell now. When the MBP gets updated (probably MBP first, then maybe a month later, the MB will get updated), your powerbook will be worth even less. The C2D chips are only slightly faster than the CD chips, probably not even noticeable. You'll definitely see the difference switching to Intel though.

    Good luck!
     

Share This Page