Sell, wait, hesitate or migrate?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gaddster, Feb 4, 2013.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2013
    Location:
    liverpool, england
    #1
    Hi All

    After ordering my 27" imac powerhouse on jan 24th, I now have a buyer for my 2010 21.5 iMac.

    Thing is, they want it now and my imac is not coming till 20th feb (well according to this forum it could be much longer)

    I have a macbook pro and was wondering if i should back up the Imac and sell (getting it ready for the 27" arrival) OR somehow move my work files i.e. dreamweaver sites, FCPX and adobe video projects onto an external drive etc.

    Any ideas people would be greatly appreciated?
     
  2. macrumors G5

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #2
    Due to the time of year, I'd say take the sale....I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have my new 27" the last one is for sale, but It's a bad time of year just after Christmas etc. If you have a solid buyer I'd sell...It's not too long to wait, and you might find yourself like me with two of them on my desk!
     
  3. macrumors 68030

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    #3
    I sale a lot of used electronics on CL - I find this to be the best time to sell - why? Tax Refunds!
     
  4. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2013
    Location:
    liverpool, england
    #4
    So is there a good way to continue working using my macbook pro (even if it is slightly slower) and accessing all the data on my iMac? thanks
     
  5. macrumors G5

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #5
    Oh if that were true here ( UK) everyone is paying off smoking CC bills..The 27" that's for sale is a maxed out 2011 model with all the goodies...I don't want to give it away...It has full AC until 2014 too...Guess I will just have to be patient!:)
     
  6. macrumors G5

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #6
    Have you got an external drive? USB / Thunderbolt etc? If you grab one as a stop gap, you could put all your Imac data on that and use it that way with your MBP....I actually wound up getting a buyer for my MBP 17" first, but decided to take the sale...I'm not in your position as I have my new iMac, and an MBA 13" plus ipad etc. But I do want to sell it now. The original plan was a maxed out rMBP 15" but I guess I'll wait for the refresh now. It's kind of nut's having two...It's ready to go...!
     

    Attached Files:

  7. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2013
    Location:
    liverpool, england
    #7
    Yes, I have 3 x 1tb firewire drives and 4 or 5 usb 2 drives.

    So do I just copy the documents folder over before I sell?

    Or is there a mass 'save' to external hard drive (already got time machine backed up)

    am I just confusing a simple situation here :rolleyes:
     
  8. macrumors 65816

    Lil Chillbil

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Location:
    California
    #8
    your confusing a simple situation simply back up and sell :cool:
     
  9. Macman45, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

    macrumors G5

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #9
    Just backup to your external, erase the Imac and your good to go. If it's just documents and photos / itunes content then it's even easier, but I'd go with a full backup...You might want to consider using carbon cloner or similar. This will give you a complete image of your old iMac.
     
  10. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2013
    Location:
    liverpool, england
    #10
    Ha thanks guys, will check out carbon cloner for sure

    :D
     

Share This Page