Sell you edu discount??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jer446, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    I was just wondering.. is it ok to buy someone a computer with my education discount, and then just charge them a little more than the edu discount?? I need some money, so if someone is in the market for a high end system, i can save several hundred dollars with the edu discount, and then just charge them like 100 dollars more, its perfectly legal am i right??
  2. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    No, it's not legal BUT people do it all the time. Just check out eBay. LOL!

I wouldn't suggest advertising your services, though.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    not at all legal .... if that was legal apple would just give everyone the discount. I'm sure you read the terms and conditions when entering the apple store for education but basically the page EXPLICITLY says for personal use, and it doesn't sound like you plan on using it ... it would be so funny if apple caught onto your scam and then sent u out a bill for the remaining price of the machine.
  4. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    okay i didn't read the terms and conditions, but why isn't he allowed to sell his computer once he buys it? it belongs to him at that point, and the price he sells it for shouldn't matter. Should it?
  5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
  6. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    You can only buy 1 system in an academic year
  7. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
  8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2004
    It's all in the wording. Don't offer to buy a computer with your Edu discount and then mark it up to sell it to someone else on here.

You "buy" the computer and then sell it to upgrade/downgrade, etc. Especially if it's a BTO because you can't return those.
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sure, you can buy a system and there is no obligation on you to keep or use that system. So yes, you could sell it on.

But it is entirely against the spirit of why Apple offer students a discount. Who knows, if too many people did it, perhaps Apple would stop offering the edu discount altogether which would be a great shame for all those who use it for the purpose it was intended.
  10. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    i know but it sure would suck to buy a 3 grand computer, or like a 30 inch lcd, and then not be able to sell it.. so if i knew someone wanted a 30 inch or something before i bought it, since theres no way im buying a monitor this year, i would sell it to them once they gave me the money.
  11. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    for example, lets say i post in the marketplace and clasfields, brand new 30 inch apple monitor, 3 grand.. it costs me 2700 and then another 160 for the tax, totaling 2860, so then i would make 140 dollars.. because it would normally cost you 3,180 dollars if you bought it without the discount (.06 percent tax right?) then i would just get the payment from them, and just ship it right to them from apple,
  12. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    And of course you would have to report the amount you made to the IRS as income so you can pay taxes on it. ;)
  13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....surely you can think of other ways to make some money (like, working for instance) rather than take advantage of Apple's Educational pricing policies, which as stated above is most definitely not in the spirit of the agreement and could spoil it for others should Apple someday pull the plug. There is nothing to stop you from selling an Apple Edu-bought system, and if you had bought one, used it for a year or however how long and then sold it there would be no issue...but ordering brand new just for resale (you even want Apple to ship it right to the person buying it from you - that's a lot of gall)...just plain wrong....oh yeah!
  14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't worry, we can do it for him... :p

Heck, we may even be entitled to a reward for doing it. :D

Why bother turning somebody into the RIAA and MPAA, when the IRS is so much more lucrative.