Selling a PB in Japan??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gammamonk, Jun 11, 2005.

1. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I don't know if anyone can help me on this one-- But I'm looking to sell my powerbook, but I live in Japan. Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm not very comfortable with trying to sell it on a Japanese auction site (such as Yahoo.co.jp) because my Japanese isn't fabulous, and online fraud is unbelievable over here.

Should I ebay it back to the states? Any words of wisdom?

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If i were you, id Ebay it in the states and bite the bullet when it comes to shipping costs, just charge a standard amount for shipping and pay the extra it will cost to ship from japan. This would be advantageous for you as you will be able to list it easily and you are likely to get a better rpice as i am sure there is a bigger market in the US than Japan for powerbooks.

ShadOW :cool:

3. Willy S macrumors 6502

No Europe is better, e.g. ebay.co.uk. Prices in England are higher than in the US.

4. Hoffi macrumors newbie

Ah, too bad it's not a 17 incher. I'm studying in Japan and I was looking for a powerbook to do my graphics work on.

5. apelet macrumors member

Why don't you try to sell it on some forums geared toward foreigners living in Japan? I think the one on japantoday.com is pretty active.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

You should try the Classifieds section in the Metropolis magazine. It's the one apelet is talking about, and is a weekly foreigners' English magazine.

You can setup a free ad in the Sell section - up to 30 words or so - which will appear both online and on the magazine.

You can make it a condition to meet the person so that there is no chance of fraud.

In fact, how much are you willing to sell it for - I might be interested!

irmongoose

7. gammamonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Thanks for all the helpful feedback! I'll definately check out that forum.

I got this Powerbook, about a year ago now I think. And it's just not for me. I guess I'm a desktop guy. A little off topic, but what's your favorate Mac desktop right now? The current value of this notebook if brand new is $2500 (I have the apple care, etc)

How much do you think I could get for it? $2000?

8. gammamonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Oh, and BTW, Apple the computer company of choice for foreigners in Japan! I had that white blotch on the screen problem, and called up Apple, in English, in Japan, and they sent a deliver guy over with a box. 2 days later, on a Saturday, I get a call on my cellphone from the delivery guy, wondering where I was. "Well, I'm in Tokyo watching Sumo," I tell him. I had my machine back first thing Sunday morning.

Now listen to this-- A friend of mine has an HP notebook. Well, the harddrive cheesed it. She didn't have her machine for 6 weeks! It was shipped to Austrailia for repair. She couldn't wait any longer and bought a new system.

Not relevent at all, sorry. Just felt like sharing. :)

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well I wouldn't buy it for $2000, but you might be able to find someone who will. I mean, this is Japan!

The best value desktop I think is the iMac 2 GHz or the Power Mac 2GHz.

irmongoose

10. Hoffi macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info about that. I was worried about help if I needed it with my powerbook.