Selling Advice Needed. (Dead iMac G3)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Borjan, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Borjan macrumors regular

Hello there. First up, I live in the U.K, so let's be thinking in £££ for this thread okay? (It has a point, Mac's appear so much cheaper over in the States)

A while ago I got my hands a dead iMac G3. I had no idea what was wrong with it. All I know is that according to the specs, its a Graphite 500mhz G3 machine. Slot loading combo drive. You know the score.

So anyway, I got ahold of this dead iMac G3 a while back, and no matter how hard I tried (ie, not very much, bought a new CMOS battery, hit the switch a couple of times, not a sound came from it), I couldn't get it to power on. Yes, it probably was the PAV board. But bear in mind, I really have no way to confirm what works and what doesn't, including crucially whats causing the computer to die in the first place.

And no, I'm not too lazy/poor to go out and buy a voltmeter to check trickle voltages, or to find someone else with a G3 iMac who's going to let me test out parts.

So, now has come the time to part it out and sell it. I've done the first part. Now I just need some help.

Can someone identify this part for me please? What it is and what it does, please.

[​IMG]

I'd love to put it up here in the forums, but I don't have a high enough post count yet, so I'm going to either try another forums site, or eBay. You're thoughts on what I can expect to get from parts from a forum's classifieds site versus eBay? A part by part basis would be most useful, I have the motherboard (no ram, 500mhz processor, mother and daughter together), 'unknown thing', monitor and PAV board together, combo slot drive in caddy. The outer shell's probably going to only get 50p after I got a bit too angry trying to get inside the case. The top and bottom survived, the side... well. :p

Remember, I will have to say that the parts are untested.

Also, would it bump up the price THAT MUCH if I were somehow to confirm if certain parts are working? As in, is the effort worth the return?

Remember, I'm lazy.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Ryan.

(Yes, this does kind of look like a bit of an illegal Classifieds post. But I assure you, I'm not ready to sell these yet, I haven't costed postage yet! It really is just a sincere post asking for help!)

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

You should really confirm that the parts are working. It means someone is more likely to even look at it if they find the price agreeable, or that they'll consider paying a bit more if they know it works.

3. Borjan thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is, I see people paying relatively good money for parts such as mine, reason being that they are simply Mac lovers who know the PAV problem on G3 iMacs and are willing to take the chance...

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Even though its unconfirmed, the power/PAV board in these was normally the culprit of failures. But still, since its untested. I may be interested in the logic board, to upgrade a 350MHz slotloader. And the DVD drive if it has one.

5. Borjan thread starter macrumors regular

Hehe.. naughty. There is a classifieds forums for this kind of thing. But I'll keep your interest in mind. If anyone else has an interest in the parts, please PM me ONLY! It'll keep this thread clean and on topic.

So, without further fuss, back to the topic at hand people!