Selling an iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by makaser, Feb 9, 2006.

1. makaser macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to upgrade and need to sell my 12" iBook. Anyone have any advice on what to do about getting rid of any personal info on the HDD? Is there any good way to completely erase it and do a fresh install of just the software? If I reinstall Tiger, is there an option to totally reformat the drive, and if so, does that really get rid of the old info?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, installing Tiger gives you the option of formatting the drive. This should be sufficient for most users but if you're in a paranoid mood then opt to write zeroes to the drive (one of the security options) which will make it much harder for people to get the information off the drive. The average user wouldn't be able to get any data off a standard reformatted drive though. :)

3. makaser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. Of course, at this point, if someone wanted my identity, they could have it. All 40 bucks in the checking account. And the twenty grand in Credit Card Debt too! :eek:

4. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Then why the heck are you upgrading man?!?! Keep the iBook and work on getting that debt paid of first!

5. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

AJBMatrix

You sound like my old roomate except he does not have an iBook anymore. He has upgraded himself and his girlfriend's computers; oh yeah and all his family's computers over the past year to where he has bought 7 computers and sold 4 for a grand total of -6000. Not bad considering you bought 7 Macs. But Bad considering he has 48,000 in Student Loans and some he took out to buy computers with. And he just got through with his undergrad this fall.