Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekkota

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Once the iPad 5 is available, I am planning on upgrading and finally getting rid of my iPad 1. I've been debating about the best way to do this...eBay, Craigslist, amazon, etc.

The problem is that ever since I updated the OS to 5+ it has been crashing a lot. Under the diagnostics, there are hundreds and hundreds of "low memory" crashes on numerous apps (including the App Store itself.) So I am feeling guilty about selling an iPad that I know crashes a lot.

I see that there is an option on amazon to sell an iPad to amazon. You answer a few questions about the outward appearance--scratches, engraving, etc. The only question about function is whether the iPad turns on. They are currently offering $148 for my 32GB wifi/3g model in excellent condition. I assume that they would check it out once they received it, so I would feel less guilty selling it to amazon than to a real person.

Any opinions or suggestions on what to do? Also, if I restored my ipad to factory specs would that help with the crashing issue? Appreciate any feedback.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Restoring the firmware should fix the crashing assuming there isn't a hardware issue. Give it a shot before taking the offer from Amazon, you should be able to get $200 easily on craigslist or ebay.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I would definitely reset it to factory (i.e. wipe out all of your data and apps) and see if Safari and the other built-in apps work OK after the wipe.

If you are still getting a lot of crashes, there might be a hardware problem (faulty RAM or something similar).

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Restoring the firmware should fix the crashing assuming there isn't a hardware issue.

Low memory on an ipad 1 is generally a hardware issue. Because it has little ram and apps etc expect more. So if you run more than about 3 things at the same thing, you run out of RAM cause there's no virtual memory in the iPad

shoota

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
That doesn't make sense. A hardware issue would have nothing to do with the amount, faulty is faulty and it would crash.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
agreed, i used to have an ipad 1, its a world of a difference compared to my ipad 3 now.

What i suggest is just restore the ipad to factory settings, the last firmware it was on was 5.1.1

that should solve the problem,

gekkota

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Thanks, everyone!
I guess what I'll do is restore it to factory specs and then sell it once the new iPad comes out. I really need to upgrade, since many of the apps & games I like have updates that my iPad 1 can't handle.
Kinda sad, though, since I was one of the people who stood in line for hours on release day...good memories! :)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Thanks, everyone!
I guess what I'll do is restore it to factory specs and then sell it once the new iPad comes out. I really need to upgrade, since many of the apps & games I like have updates that my iPad 1 can't handle.
Kinda sad, though, since I was one of the people who stood in line for hours on release day...good memories! :)

after you factory restore it, it will be MUCH faster. so much faster you might want to continue using it and not sell it

although, it still won't be able the play the most graphics intensive games in the App Store

the iPad 1 is still quite an amazing device considering where the industry was 3 years ago and how it's still ~ 90% functional 3 years later. we will be saying the same about the iPad 2 as well - considering how much of a beast the A5 is even in 2013

Last edited:

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I passed my iPad 1st Gen 64 GB AT&T to my 10-year-old daughter. I restored it to stock iOS and loaded apps and media for her age on it. There have been a couple times it has crashed but she finds that if she reboots it each day it works better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.