Selling AT&T Account w/ Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Walter Bell, Apr 22, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2010
    To the MR Mods, I am not advertising or trying to sell here on the forums, but merely ask those who have done this for advice.

How the hell do I do this? Here is my plan:

- Buy unlimited Verizon Data plan off eBay.

-Sell my AT&T iPhone 4S. This part is easily.

-Sell my AT&T contract with grandfathered Unlimited Data plan for iPhone. How the hell do I do this? This is where I'm stuck. Do they need my sim card? Any advice is appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any experience in buying the unlimited Data from eBay?

2. macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    You can't sell or buy or trade cell phone contracts in that way.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2012
    wouldnt you be able to transfer it to someone else? But you charge the person ?
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2010
    Yes. That's what appears to be happening. People are allowing others to take over there contract (or transfer) that has unlimited data grandfathered in.
  5. macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2011
    Is AT&T unlimited data not completely useless now as its capped at 3GB? Why would anyone bother paying for it?
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2010
    It's not useless. Unlimited data is unlimited data. If I didn't drop a billion calls a month I would keep them. But here in Hawaii, Verizon is the best for call clarity and stability.
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2010
    And throttled ATT= regular Verizon 3G speeds.
  8. macrumors 68030

Apr 26, 2010
    You can only transfr unlmted data plans on verizon, not att. Sorry you're sol with att
  9. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2010
    Ah gotcha. Guess my plan goes out the window.
  10. macrumors G3

Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    If you go into an ATT store with the person you are trying to transfer to, they MAY* do it for you. If you do the transfer online, the person will be forced into picking a data plan (unlimited not being among those choices).

*I say may because they aren't REQUIRED to do this, but I do personally know two people, my friend and my fiance's sister, that exactly this.
  11. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2010
    Thanks! Guess I'll just pay the ETF. I Have a friend that is going to 'give' me his unlimited Verizon account as he barely uses cellular data.

Thanks for the info!
  12. macrumors member

Sep 13, 2011
    Have you done anything yet? I have an unlimited VERIZON account with an IPHONE 4S...I am looking to swap? I would be interested if we can keep the unlimited data on your end. I have read mixed forums on ATT allowing people to keep the unlimited data, its worth a shot?
  13. lsxrx7, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

macrumors newbie

May 13, 2012
    I m interested in trading. Let me know

edit : if u want to contact me pls send me a PM on xda under the same user name
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2012
  15. TSX
    macrumors 68030

Oct 1, 2008
    False, I get .03mpb download when I'm throttled on AT&T (which is every month) my iPad on Verizon's 3G I get at least 1mpb, which is 3x faster than AT&T throttled.
  16. macrumors 68040

Jun 27, 2009
    33x faster, not 3x.
  17. macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2008
    You can transfer billing responsibility on unlimited data plans in stores only, that's what I did when I took over billing responsibility from my father. Just call AT&T and tell then you authorize this person to take over the line and they will notate the account. Don't do it online though you will lose the unlimited data plan.
  18. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    I already tried giving away my extra unlimited line with AT&T and nobody wanted it, so I canceled it. It even had unlimited international data which is quite nice.

That said, with the throttling that's done these days, these lines are less and less appealing.
  19. macrumors 601

Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    I had to do the same thing. Had two lines with unlimited, didn't want a dime for them and just wanted someone to take over the lines. Not one person was interested. Each had about six months left on the contract.

With people who can't even give them away for free, I doubt anyone would be willing to pay.
  20. macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2012
    Selling Att unlimited 4G LTE data plan

I'm in a bad financial situation, I just hours cut in my job, I need to terminate my contract with ATT but I can't afford the early termination fees (ETF). One of my lines has the unlimited data plan. I need to sell this unlimited plan. Email me if u r interested.
  21. macrumors 601

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Of course. No one is going to buy an unlimited plan that's not really unlimited. Better off just getting one of the newer plans.
  22. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    If you've got an LTE device, the throttling on AT&T starts at 5GB now on the grandfathered unlimited $30 plan. If you buy a new tiered plan, 5GB is $50--so it's clearly still worth it.

Another smaller benefit is that there is no chance of data overage charges, even though you're throttled.
  23. macrumors member

Jun 20, 2012
    I'm interested but Don't see a PM button to contact you. Can email me at steve123488 at yahoo
  24. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2009
    I know this is a old thread but I have a unlimited data plan on Verizon as well and would like to swap with an ATT unlimited data line...If anyone interested shoot me a pm, Im also on XDA under the same name.....I have an upgrade which i could swap and get the phone you want thats if you have an upgrade available on your end, if not then i will use the upgrade up and transfer it to the unlimited line and then do the swap, but sell the phone to get the phone i want on ATT
  25. macrumors regular

May 12, 2013
    Delaware, USA
    Tip: If you upgrade, you lose the unlimited. They push you towards a 6GB "Mega" plan. I got the email a few months ago.

I just unlocked my new T-Mobile Samsung G4 that I won, looking to get it on AT&T unlimited, but the prices on Ebay are just insane. I am currently on Verizon unlimited, wish I could use the phone on there, but no luck.