Selling Education Version Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vwguy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. vwguy macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of selling some of the software (educational version) that I had bought while I was still in college. Are there any legal issues or trouble if I list them on ebay or here to sell them? I have no use for them and they are just sitting on my desk collecting dust.

Any input is greatly welcome!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can only resell them to somebody that can buy the educational version currently. That is, providing it's the educational version. If it's the normal version with an educational discount then you can resell it to whomever. But honestly... I just plain wouldn't worry about it.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If your selling on Ebay make sure you put THIS SOFTWARE CAN ONLY BE SOLD TO AUTHORIZED EDUCATIONAL USERS, PROOF OF AFFILIATION WILL BE REQUIRED --- or something similar, because Microsoft, Adobe and other mainstream software providers in parternership with ebay pay a group called V.E.R.O. or something like that who track down academic versions, and frequently cancel your auction. I had to relist my Office v. X academic version two times because I did not use the correct wording. Simply putting Academic version or Educational version will not work.

Check out: http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/help/policies/academic-software.html

4. vwguy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your insight.... its really good to know about it. However, I do have three more questions....

1) Is it fine to give to someone else like close friends or relatives to use it for free?

2) What if I choose to bundle in to something I'm selling on eBay? e.g. : "If you choose 'Buy it Now', I will throw in MSX in for free!" Would that be a violation of the software agreement?

3) Is it alright to have my brother who's still in college to sell it for me then?

Thanks in advance!