Selling iBook, buying Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yg17, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. yg17 macrumors G5

    yg17

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2004
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #1
    Would now be a good time to purchase a 15" PB (combo drive, no need for a superdrive as I never burn DVDs on my G5)? Any updates coming along soon? If they're minor speed bumps, I don't care as I'd never notice a slight MHz increase, but is dual core or something big like that a remote possibility? BTW, I'm not going to wait for Intel because I'd be buying this month, plus I'd rather not be a beta tester with a rev. A product.

    Also, the only way I'd get a PB is if I sold my iBook. Fortunatley, my aunt has been begging me for a year to upgrade and sell my iBook to her because she really, really wants one, so I pretty much have a buyer. Excellent condition, 12" (and no dead pixels to boot), 900MHz G3, combo drive, 640 megs RAM, airport, 40 gig HD and Tiger. And a little less than a year of AppleCare left. What sort of asking price is reasonable, keeping in mind, I'm selling it to a family member and am not out to rip anyone off, take advantage of shopper stupidity and would like to give her a good deal on it.
     
  2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

    chucknorris

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Location:
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    #2
    The PowerBook is due for an update, and inside info says one is on its way.

    Whether it's going to be a small speed bump or not is open to debate. Regardless of what it is you will DEFINITELY get a lot more value ($200+) out of whatever the update is.

    If it's only a speed bump, you can guarantee they'll slash the prices. If it's something major, then even better.

    I would at least wait until the Paris Expo at the end of the month before ordering a PowerBook.
     
  3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

    yg17

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2004
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #3
    Thanks. Only thing that would suck about waiting if its a major update, is I have to buy it through my school since they offer a financing program for students, and they take forever to get updates in. Took them several weeks just to get copies of Tiger in stock.

    As I said before, all is not lost if I do buy and its a 100MHz update. I'll never notice it. I'd just be ticked off if they introduce dual core. When is the Paris expo?
     
  4. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

    chucknorris

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2005
    Location:
    Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
    #4
    Schools are TERRIBLE about getting updated products in. My school's bookstore still doesn't have the new iBooks in, almost 1.5 months since the update.

    The expo is Sept. 20-24th.

    All is definitely not lost if you order the current gen and the update ends up being sort of insignificant, but it would still really bother me. (I waited two months for the new iBooks)

    They may very well go dual core, but from what I know there isn't a dual-core G4 available yet. There is a faster G4 from Freescale that runs close to 2 Ghz, which I would guess they'll use in the new PBooks.

    You'll see bigger hds standard, maybe better Superdrives (DL, faster), better graphics cards, and faster RAM. They might throw in more/new ports, or introduce some new feature(s) not seen in other models.
     

Share This Page