Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aminadab

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Quick question: I'm selling an iBook on ebay. It has AppleCare and is advertised as such. A potential bidder wants the registration number / serial number to confirm this. Is there any reason why I shouldn't disclose this information?

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
Quick question: I'm selling an iBook on ebay. It has AppleCare and is advertised as such. A potential bidder wants the registration number / serial number to confirm this. Is there any reason why I shouldn't disclose this information?

i think you should just go to apple.com/support pop in ur serial # in the lower right hand bracket, take a snapshot of the screen and smudge out the serial # itself but proove to him that the warranty is still good. i dont have applecare (yet) so i'm not sure if this would the right thing to do but its my suggestion.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I don't understand the paranoia some people have with disclosing the serial numbers of their Apples. It's not as if some crook up to no good can do anything with it.

Regardless, there's no reason to do so unless you find yourself in a situation such as this, when a potential buyer wants to confirm that you are indeed telling the truth.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I think you would be better off just proving to him that it has apple care, and you will disclose serial #s at end of bidding.

People always find creative ways to use information. Keep it secret, Keep it safe.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
i think you should just go to apple.com/support pop in ur serial # in the lower right hand bracket, take a snapshot of the screen and smudge out the serial # itself but proove to him that the warranty is still good. i dont have applecare (yet) so i'm not sure if this would the right thing to do but its my suggestion.

It will do it, I've just tested it with mine. If I were in your shoes, I will opt for this option. It definitely proves that you still are on AppleCare but you got to do the simple maths of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.