selling imac G5...how much can I expect

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prevacidman, Sep 15, 2006.

1. prevacidman macrumors member

I am wanting to sell my 20" iMac g5. Purchased in Nov 2004. 10,000 songs in itunes, eyetv, isight camera, loaded up with everything current. I am selling becuase i have a mbp 15" with 23 inch display and wife wants a little macbook for herself. Any ideas what I should ask for it and/or potential buyers out there? Thanks

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Just to clarify...do you have it maxed out on Ram? What size is the HDD? not really sure what you could expect. Used to be you would get what you paid for it, but that is no longer the case since more and more people have Macs.

3. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

yeah I maxed it out with ram...the whole set up costs me about 3 grand but that was with the eyetv I got. Ordered everything on the phone with Apple. I love it but don't need 5 computers in the house. We both have to use dell laptops for our jobs but my wife has a a side business selling Arbonne and wants her macbook for that. I do photogarphy on the side and love my set up with the 23 inch display! thanks for responding

4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a Rev A 1.8GHz G5 to me - is it that?

I recommend selling the iSight and EyeTV separately - should fetch a decent price for those. Maybe $100-$175 for the EyeTV, depending on model. iSight around $85 or so? Maybe more.

The number of songs in iTunes doesn't add anything - I don't expect you are allowed to sell them on without the media etc..

With the new Core 2 iMacs out and the prices decreasing, getting a brand new iMac is an option for more and more people. They may choose to spend the $950 or whatever it is for the lower model 17" one. Refurbs of Core iMacs are doing the rounds too, as well as all the people selling Cores to get Core 2s...

I think maybe you could get $750 or so? Shove it on eBay and find out!

5. prevacidman thread starter macrumors member

good point about the itunes songs. The eyetv is is the first version. I was thinking about 750-900 bucks but you think I should sell the isight and eyetv separately???

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

in cases like this, yeah, it would be better. you could fetch a good price for each of those components separately, and add that to whatever you get for your computer. selling as a package would obviously get you more than what you'd get for just the iMac alone, but as a whole, you'll probably end up better off parting it out. That way, someone who only wants the iMac doesn't pay less because they don't care about the EyeTV or iSight, and it opens up those components to more buyers who aren't in the market for a whole new computer!

7. youyou macrumors member

Well I sold my Imac g5 20" rev A last week on ebay for 1300$...
    It included an isight camera. It haa 1gb of ram and a 250gb HD.
    I included my 6400 songs in itunes and a bunch of software that's installed on the computer. Like roxio toast 7 titanium and ilife 06' ,mac osx tiger, all four jampacks...
    So I was pretty happy with my 1300$ and i think you should definitely be able to get more the 750-900$ for yours...

8. mopppish macrumors 6502

I decided to sell my imac G5 and ibook G4 to buy a macbook (as soon as they get updated- I don't need Merom, but I might as well wait since we know we're close to SOME sort of update).
    Anyway, I was planning on listing my rev B 17" imac G5 2GB with just under two years left on the AppleCare on ebay with a BIN of $900. The Apple refurbs of the exact same model are going for $950, so I figured that a slightly extended warranty and extra RAM justifies the near-refurb price.
    As it turns out, my folks wanted a new imac, so they're getting my computer and are putting $900 towards my new macbook.

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If you do decide to sell the iSight separately, I'm definitely interested...hopefully we can work something out?