selling Mac -- registered OS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Carl Spackler, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

I may sell my G5 and move toward an Intel machine. Being a proud Mac owner, I registered my OS. Does anyone know if the buyer will run into any complications with this?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If you erase this disk, they will have to re-register anyway.

If you don't know how to erase, put your install disk in, go to Disk Utilities (in the top menu bar), select the drive, and click the Erase tab. There should be a bubble for Security Options; click this, and depending on how paranoid you are, select the number of passes you want to do. If I were selling the computer and I had important documents on there (which i have backed up), I would probably do the 35-pass erase, but if you are low on time, the seven- or even single-pass should suffice.

Let the new user install the system, and they can re-register it. :)

3. PharmD macrumors 6502

I'm about to go through the same thing. When you say to let them re-install the OS, do you mean, don't install it on there at all and just give them the disk and say "have at it"?

4. Carl Spackler thread starter macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Thanks for the info. I was going to definitely backup all my data and zero the drive. Do you know if there is a way to get the drive back to the state is was when it comes new from Apple? I suppose I could set them up with a user account of their choosing. I'd hate for them to not be well versed with a Mac and have to wait (even thought it's painless) and reinstall the OS.

Thanks again.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think the default install is the same stuff which is installed when you first get a Mac, but there is a lot of stuff there which may not be needed, such as languages and printer drivers. Maybe ask them what state they want their computer in; let them install OS X, or make the computer usable from the moment they get it

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I want to sell my 1.5ghz powerbook which I recently replaced with a 15" MacBook Pro 2.16ghz. I know if you put the install disk in, from there you can do a clean install to take it to that starting point where it's like you just got your apple. But maybe I should do the clean disk thing first to help ensure none of my content can be recovered. I've never tried the clean disk thing before.